It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:27 am

Additional Jeux d'Extension in St-Etienne Caen

Using the CODM to create your own organ definitions, exchange CODM organ definitions, ...
  • Author

psallo

Additional Jeux d'Extension in St-Etienne Caen

PostSat Aug 22, 2020 6:22 pm

Would it be technically possible to extend the St-Etienne Caen sample set along these lines:

Grand Orgue:

Copy the Nasard 2-2/3' and Tierce 1-3/5' from the Positif to the Grand Orgue as Gross Nasard 5-1/3' and Grosse Tierce 3-1/5', perhaps "rescaling" them larger by a couple of pipe diameters?

Positif:

Create from existing flute ranks: Quarte de Nasard 2', Larigot 1-1/3' and Sifflet 1', and create additional Fourniture III and Cymbale III, all perhaps similar to corresponding stops in the St. Maximin Positif?

I'm not sure about just buying St. Maximin for a church instrument, in which we hope everything can play at A440 in equal temperament (which might be something else difficult or impossible that I don't yet understand).

Thanks!

mdyde

Re: Additional Jeux d'Extension in St-Etienne Caen

PostSun Aug 23, 2020 4:17 am

Hello psallo,

psallo wrote:Would it be technically possible to extend the St-Etienne Caen sample set along these lines:

Grand Orgue:

Copy the Nasard 2-2/3' and Tierce 1-3/5' from the Positif to the Grand Orgue as Gross Nasard 5-1/3' and Grosse Tierce 3-1/5', perhaps "rescaling" them larger by a couple of pipe diameters?

Positif:

Create from existing flute ranks: Quarte de Nasard 2', Larigot 1-1/3' and Sifflet 1', and create additional Fourniture III and Cymbale III, all perhaps similar to corresponding stops in the St. Maximin Positif?

To use the Custom Organ Design Module (CODM) for it, you would need to create a CODM organ definition from scratch that had the desired specification, and which referenced/loaded the appropriate sample files for each of its virtual ranks. The CODM is effectively an XML/SQL-based programming language for creating organ definitions, which you would need to learn (or commission somebody else to make the organ definition for you). Creating a large/complex organ definition from scratch can be a fairly large and technical undertaking. I'd suggest starting by having a look at its user guide on the 'Design tools' menu in Hauptwerk, and having a look at some of the example CODM organ definition files that are installed with Hauptwerk (in the [Hauptwerkk]/HauptwerkUserData/CustomOrganDefinitions folder).

In general, it's possible to re-create the specifications and common features of most classical organ sample sets within the CODM, and to extend them in ways along the lines that you describe. However, some less-common functional features can't fully/easily be recreated within the CODM, such as ventils (and some theatre organ features).

psallo wrote:I'm not sure about just buying St. Maximin for a church instrument, in which we hope everything can play at A440 in equal temperament (which might be something else difficult or impossible that I don't yet understand).

You can certainly play any sample set at any desired pitch and temperament, since Hauptwerk allows you to adjust those things easily (via the 'Pitch' large control panel, for example).
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Return to Custom Organ Design Module (CODM)