It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:32 am

Problem with octave stops

Using the CODM to create your own organ definitions, exchange CODM organ definitions, ...
  • Author

tf11972

Problem with octave stops

PostSat Oct 31, 2020 10:42 am

because of the limitation of the MIDI number to 127 I had the pitch of a 1' rank read out to 2' in my new sample set (highest note a3) and then octave it in the CODM. But now I have the problem that the reverberation is shortened to half. If I octave it down, I can shorten the reverberation, but not the other way round. Is there a way to solve the problem?

Thanks in advance.
Best regards
Thomas

Forestpipes - Virtual Pipe Organs
https://forestpipes.de

mdyde

Re: Problem with octave stops

PostSat Oct 31, 2020 11:37 am

Hello Thomas,

(Except in the case of unified/extension organs, such as theatre organs, or similar 'borrowed' stops) the rank's basic pitch makes no difference to MIDI note number range -- middle C on an 8' rank would be note number 60, as would middle C on a 1' rank. The pitch of the rank is instead specified by the Rank.Pitch_RankBaseOutputPitch64ftHarmonicNum attribute.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

tf11972

PostSat Oct 31, 2020 3:18 pm

Okay, I didn't actually mean the MIDI number, but the stored pitch, which in 1'-stops starts at 72, but then goes from 58 notes to 129, if it wasn't for the limitation. So I had two notes for which I can‘t store the pitch. Hence I did this for a 2‘ stop.
Best regards
Thomas

mdyde

PostSat Oct 31, 2020 4:05 pm

Hello Thomas,

If you want the samples to play at their recorded pitches (without pitch-shifting) then the important thing is that the pitches stored in the samples accord with the output pitch of the CODM Rank object. I.e. if the pitches are stored in those samples as if they were 2' samples then the Rank object also needs to have its pitch attributes configured as if it was a 2' rank. You could either do that for the whole rank of samples, or if you're just doing it for the few highest samples (with the rest or the samples having 'true' stored pitches 1' pitches) then you would need two Rank objects -- one for the (main) 1' portion, and the other for the top-end pseudo-2' portion. Two StopRank objects would then be needed too, so as to connect the two Ranks for the relevant Stop(s).
Best regards, Martin.

tf11972

PostSat Oct 31, 2020 4:21 pm

Thank you very much for your suggestion, that would be one possibility. Since the reverberation of high tones is short anyway, the reduction would not be very noticeable with these few.
Or I repitch the samples to the original 1‘ and omit the two highest tones, CODM would fill up until c4 with the known problems described in the other thread?
Best regards
Thomas

mdyde

PostSun Nov 01, 2020 5:21 am

tf11972 wrote:Or I repitch the samples to the original 1‘ and omit the two highest tones, CODM would fill up until c4 with the known problems described in the other thread?

Hello Thomas,

Yes -- you could do that.
Best regards, Martin.

johnstump_organist

PostMon Nov 02, 2020 11:57 am

Standard practice is that the highest practical pitch to build is top c of a 2' on a 61 note keyboard. Almost all 1' stops I've seen break back to 2' in the top octave.
I did see a Flentrop once that a 1-1/3' & 1' that went up without a break on a 56 note organ, but that is unusual I think.
Otherwise, )All 1-1/3, 1-3/5 & 1' stops break back an octave somewhere in the top octave of a 61 note compass.

tf11972

PostFri Nov 13, 2020 2:23 pm

I have now reduced the sampleset to the original 58 keys, repitched the 1‘ stop and everything works fine. BTW the stop sounds remarkably better in it‘s orignal pitch.
Best regards
Thomas

Return to Custom Organ Design Module (CODM)