It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:49 am

Tables for CODM use

Using the CODM to create your own organ definitions, exchange CODM organ definitions, ...
  • Author

ldeutsch

Tables for CODM use

PostTue Dec 08, 2020 4:23 pm

I do much of my CODM development work remotely from my Hauptwerk installations, using my own tools and XML editors. Beginning with HW V, the detailed tables that define the syntax for the various CODM elements are no longer documented in the provided PDF CODM User Guide. Although these data ARE available within a running copy of HW, this is not very good for my application.

Does anyone know if there is a way to get documentation for these tables as a separate text file of some sort?

My only alternative at the moment is to continue using the Guide form HW 4.1, which is likely getting out-of-date quickly.

Les

ldeutsch

Re: Tables for CODM use

PostTue Dec 08, 2020 5:40 pm

Never mind!

I discovered that the PF file I was seeking resides in

~username/Hauptwerk/HauptwerkInternalWorkingFiles/GeneratedDocumentation

There, the file HauptwerkCustomOrganDefinitionFormat.html contains all the tables I was seeking already in a very nice indexed PDF format. It is even better than it used to be. Thanks again Martin!

Les

mdyde

PostWed Dec 09, 2020 4:44 am

Thanks, Les.

Yes -- those documents get generated dynamically (in the latest formats for the version of Hauptwerk being run) whenever you use the corresponding item on the 'Design tools' menu to view them. (If you wanted to, you could then just copy them out of that folder to somewhere convenient in order to be able to access them easily when Hauptwerk isn't running.)
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Doug S.

PostMon May 31, 2021 10:55 pm

I'm running the latest version and I checked out that path and the "generated documentation" folder is empty. Has this been changed?
Doug

mdyde

PostTue Jun 01, 2021 3:35 am

Hello Doug,

[Topic moved here.]

The current version of Hauptwerk (v6.0.2) works the same way as v5 (which was current when Les posted the topic originally).

You need to use the 'Design tools | View Custom Organ Design Modulate ... format documentation' menu function. Whenever you do that, Hauptwerk will (re-)generate the HTML document inside the [HauptwerkInternalWorkingFiles]/GeneratedDocumentation folder. If you want to keep a copy of the file then copy it from there to somewhere outside of Hauptwerk's folder structure, since the copy that Hauptwerk generates in its folder tree is only temporary and may get deleted when you next launch Hauptwerk.

If you do keep a copy of the file then make sure you discard it and generate a new copy from any subsequent Hauptwerk versions, since the menu function in Hauptwerk ensures that the version generated is appropriate for the currently-installed Hauptwerk version.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Return to Custom Organ Design Module (CODM)