It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:52 am

INteresting Theatre Organ Function

Using the CODM to create your own organ definitions, exchange CODM organ definitions, ...
  • Author

jrball

INteresting Theatre Organ Function

PostTue Mar 16, 2021 4:59 pm

The Uniflex Organ Control system has numerous programming features accessible and useful to the organist.
One of these is a very interesting function called "Range."
I doubt it can be implemented by CODM but I wonder if it is possible via ODF.

Most organ show a fixed set of pistons assigned to and grouped by "General", "Swell", etc.
The CODM defines these fixed pistons in its General and Division tables.

Uniflex upsets all fixed piston assignments and placed them under control of the organist with its "Range" button/function.
In one organ I know it is on the key cheek of the lowest manual.

The organist can show the range of a piston, set its range, and perform the usual function of setting stops for that piston.

Start by pressing the Gen Can and make sure all stops are off.
To show the range of a piston press and hold "Range" and then press any piston. The stops assigned to the range of that piston will show (turn on). Note this is not the actual piston settings as obtained by just pressing the piston but rather its "Range." The Range is all the stops that can be controlled by the piston.

An example might be an Accomp divisional piston that includes a TREM useful to the Accomp division and leaves out a few stops not needed for this program.
That same TREM may also show up in some other piston's range.

To change a range use the Range button in combination with a piston and the SET button.

Note that when a range changes the printed label on that piston does not change, The organist must remember.

engrssc

Re: INteresting Theatre Organ Function

PostTue Mar 16, 2021 7:03 pm

Something like a "selectable piston" with a show and tell scope function maybe?

Rgds,
Ed

mdyde

PostWed Mar 17, 2021 4:44 am

Hello jrball,

That's exactly what Hauptwerk's master scoped combinations are for -- see the 'Registration menu: master scoped combinations' section in the user guide (pages 114-118 in the current v6.0.2 version). Note that in v4-v5 one couldn't view the previously-assigned scope (range) of a scoped combination, but in v6+ you can; the Set and Scope functions behave differently in v6+ (see the v6 release notice for more details).
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

jrball

PostWed Mar 17, 2021 10:31 am

This is embarrassing - my limited 'scope' in not thoroughly studying the documents before asking questions.
Thanks to engrssc and Martin for pointing out my oversight.

mdyde

PostWed Mar 17, 2021 10:38 am

Thanks. No problem at all -- you're welcome!
Best regards, Martin.

jrball

PostWed Mar 17, 2021 11:00 am

One followup question?
Scoped pistons can be controlled by physical switches or MIDI.
It doesn't look like scoped pistons can be assigned to Generals as defined by the Generals table or Divisionals as defined by the Division Table. That means they cannot be displayed on a CustonDisplayPage in CODM.

mdyde

PostWed Mar 17, 2021 11:35 am

Hauptwerk's 'master combinations' (stepper, master scoped combinations, master generals, master reversibles, master crescendo) are independent from (and additional to) any combinations that you implement within a CODM organ definition. Only basic general and divisional combinations can be implemented natively within a CODM organ definition.

I would recommend simply ignoring the generals and divisionals that are available within the CODM. They were largely there for historical reasons -- the 'master combinations' were first introduced in v4, whereas the CODM's organ definition combinations existed since v2. (Hauptwerk didn't have additional facilities in v2/v3, aside from a basic 'registration sequencer, superseded by the stepper in v4+.)

If you want the scoped combinations to be usable via touch-screens then the intention is that you would assign them to Hauptwerk's piston toolbars ('View | Piston toolbars, then right-click on a piston toolbar button to assign a function to it). Pistons toolbars can docked within the virtual console windows for the purpose.
Best regards, Martin.

jrball

PostWed Mar 17, 2021 12:28 pm

Martin, you have created a truly amazing product!
That does everything I need to do for this organ.

mdyde

PostWed Mar 17, 2021 1:05 pm

Excellent -- thanks!
Best regards, Martin.

mdyde

PostThu Mar 18, 2021 5:45 am

Hello John,

I see you submitted a list of enhancement requests last night related to this topic. Thanks for the suggestions, which I've logged as appropriate. In answer to your question:

jrball wrote:Allow individual scoped pistons to be placed anywhere (programmer specified) on a virtual console page to match a physical console. This might require a new table (Piston#, Name, Location, DisplayControlStyle, etc). I think I can do this in the ODF for regular pistons. Could it be applied to scoped pistons?

You can trigger any of Hauptwerk's master combinations (including master scoped combinations, stepper, etc.) from pistons embedded in a 'full-format' ODF. You can't currently do that in a CODM ODF, but I've logged as an enhancement request that you would like to be able to do so.
Best regards, Martin.

jrball

PostThu Mar 25, 2021 3:10 pm

More on the Scoped piston functionality.
So long as I touch Scoped pistons in the screen control panels they work in both CODM and ODF.
To change generals to scoped pistons I take the following round-trip:
CODM -to- export organ to SQL -to- edit generals -to- scoped (i.e. SwitchAsgnCode 100 to 900830 etc.) -to- import ODF organ.
In the resultant ODF organ the screen control panels work; the physical pistons sort of work, the repurposed screen buttons do not work as scoped. Turn on and off is erratic. Perhaps I need to do more looking around ODF for interrelations between switches. It will work much easier/better if the CODM allows scoped pistons.

What I also need is more of them. The physical console has 120 pistons, studs, and buttons, all of which are scoped (Ranged).

In keeping with the topic of freedom from divisions consider Tremulants. Tremulants in a theatre organ are more closely tied to ranks than divisions and therefore can appear on any scoped piston. If the CODM sets StoreInDiv and Gen to "N" then trems have nowhere to go. Is there a way to remedy this in the ODF? It's not obvious to me.

Therefore my organ needs:
1: CODM scoped functionality for all console physical buttons and display screen buttons,
2: An increase to 120 scoped pistons in the CODM,
3: Tremulants not tied to divisional or general piston codes in the CODM so they accessed by scoped pistons as decided by the organist.

mdyde

PostThu Mar 25, 2021 3:49 pm

Hello John,

jrball wrote:More on the Scoped piston functionality.
So long as I touch Scoped pistons in the screen control panels they work in both CODM and ODF.
To change generals to scoped pistons I take the following round-trip:
CODM -to- export organ to SQL -to- edit generals -to- scoped (i.e. SwitchAsgnCode 100 to 900830 etc.) -to- import ODF organ.
In the resultant ODF organ the screen control panels work; the physical pistons sort of work, the repurposed screen buttons do not work as scoped. Turn on and off is erratic. Perhaps I need to do more looking around ODF for interrelations between switches. It will work much easier/better if the CODM allows scoped pistons.

The CODM doesn't currently have support for embedding scoped combinations (or other master/menu functions) within it currently (but I logged it as an enhancement request for you, as previously), You would potentially need to do more extensive editing of the 'full-format' ODF to achieve that functionality, but that isn't something we officially support (except to major sample set producers, since editing full-format ODFs is potentially very involved), so I'll have to leave you to experiment with that on your own if you really want to try to get it to work, I'm afraid. (Briefly, I think the switches would need to be made latching, and you would need to disconnect them from all other switches, and remove them from the CODM-generated combination system.)

jrball wrote:What I also need is more of them. The physical console has 120 pistons, studs, and buttons, all of which are scoped (Ranged).

I will log as another enhancement request that you would like Hauptwerk to have more scoped combinations than the 60 it currently provides.

jrball wrote:In keeping with the topic of freedom from divisions consider Tremulants. Tremulants in a theatre organ are more closely tied to ranks than divisions and therefore can appear on any scoped piston. If the CODM sets StoreInDiv and Gen to "N" then trems have nowhere to go. Is there a way to remedy this in the ODF? It's not obvious to me.

If you're using Hauptwerk's master scoped combinations (instead of the native CODM-generated general/divisional combinations), then you just need to make sure that all of the CODM stops/couplers/tremulants have StoreInGeneralCombinations=Y (which will ensure that Hauptwerk's master combinations, including scoped combinations) store/recall them. You can then simply avoid using the CODM-generated general/divisional combinations.

jrball wrote:Therefore my organ needs:
1: CODM scoped functionality for all console physical buttons and display screen buttons,
2: An increase to 120 scoped pistons in the CODM,
3: Tremulants not tied to divisional or general piston codes in the CODM so they accessed by scoped pistons as decided by the organist.

In summary, for the functionality that Hauptwerk and the CODM have currently, and for the way in which they're designed to be used, I would recommend:

- Access the scoped combinations via MIDI and/or via the dockable piston toolbars and/or the dockable mini control panels (since embedding them in a CODM ODF isn't currently natively supported).
- You will need to manage with 60 scoped combinations.
- Set StoreInGeneralCombinations=Y for all CODM stops/couplers/tremulants, and ignore the CODM-generated divisionals/generals (as above).
Best regards, Martin.

jrball

PostThu Mar 25, 2021 4:00 pm

Much appreciated, especially the logged enhancements.
I'll keep studying the ODF. Who knows, if I ever finish this organ I may be a sample set producer.

mdyde

PostFri Mar 26, 2021 4:21 am

Thanks, John. Best wishes with it.
Best regards, Martin.

Return to Custom Organ Design Module (CODM)