It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:53 am

CODM missing file error

Using the CODM to create your own organ definitions, exchange CODM organ definitions, ...
  • Author

neilt

CODM missing file error

PostMon Mar 29, 2021 3:24 pm

I'm working with CODM (Hauptwerk 4 advanced) and decided to try out my Salisbury set with it. I didn't get very far. One missing release sample resulted in the error message below. I saw some earlier post in which it seems that a skipped sample should be automatically "filled in" by transposing a nearby sample. Is there anything I'm missing here?

Could not open the file '/Hauptwerk/HauptwerkSampleSetsAndComponents/OrganInstallationPackages/000141/Salisbury-Great-Fifteenth-2/03/074-D.wav'. Please make sure that you are logged onto the computer with an operating system account with sufficient privileges (such as an administrator account), check that you don't have the file open in any other application, or try rebooting. If the folder does not exist, please try reinstalling Hauptwerk. (File exists: N, parent folder exists: Y.)

Message code (for diagnostic purposes): 0053

Thanks,
Neil

mdyde

Re: CODM missing file error

PostTue Mar 30, 2021 4:35 am

Hello Neil,

Briefly (since we no longer officially support Hauptwerk v4, although the same would apply in v6):

When deciding which pipe sample note number to reference for each given virtual pipe note number, the CODM compiler bases its decision upon the presence or absence of the primary attack/sustain sample. If the attack/sustain sample is present then it assumes any additional specified short-release samples will be too.

I've had a look at the Salisbury rank that you mentioned, and I can confirm that that particular note has its '03 release' sample missing. (I don't know off-hand why that was, but I imagine that perhaps Brett discarded that particular sample because it had some noise in it.) I wasn't aware that there were any sample sets that had short-release samples missing just for certain notes. I'll log as an enhancement request that it would be useful if the CODM compiler also specifically checked for any such cases and remapped those missing short-releases to the next-shortest release sample available (and/or maybe even skipped the samples for that note number entirely).

Currently you could either:

- Avoid specifying the '03' release samples for that rank as a whole, i.e. just reference the primary attack/sustain samples and the '02' release samples for the rank (assuming that the same situation doesn't arise with any of the 02 samples), or:

- You could probably make a copy of either the next-highest '03' release sample file, or the next-lowest (i.e. 073-C#.hbw or 075-D#.hbw) and rename it to 0754D.hbw. Assuming the sample has the pitch stored within the file, I think it should then get re-pitched appropriately when Hauptwerk plays it (but do check for good measure).
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

neilt

PostTue Mar 30, 2021 11:21 am

Thanks so much, that put me on the right track. For posterity's sake, I made symbolic links in the 02 directory that reference the parallel release samples in the 03 directory. It works.

Another enhancement that would be nice (assuming it still works this way in v6) would be to check for missing files before beginning the compile process. I had to wait several minutes before being informed that yet another file was missing. Although that would be a moot point with the enhancement you just logged (thanks for that btw).

Yep, I need to upgrade to 6. I assume my Salisbury set will continue to function in v6?

mdyde

PostTue Mar 30, 2021 11:39 am

Thanks, Neil.

neilt wrote:I assume my Salisbury set will continue to function in v6?

Yes. When upgrading to v6 from v4 you'd need to migrate your sample set licences, and download and install the v5+ versions of all encrypted sample sets, including the Salisbury. The upgrading instructions in the user guide cover that, and the download links for MDA sample sets are here: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17988

You might need to recreate your symbolic link that missing file after updating to the v5+ Salisbury, but your CODM ODF would still be compatible with it.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Return to Custom Organ Design Module (CODM)