It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:52 am

Combining 16 (C-B) and 8 (c0-) (8ve lower) samples into one

Using the CODM to create your own organ definitions, exchange CODM organ definitions, ...
  • Author

PCF

Combining 16 (C-B) and 8 (c0-) (8ve lower) samples into one

PostThu Nov 18, 2021 8:34 am

Hello,

I want to create a "composite" stop (e.g., Trompette 16 on a Swell) consisting of two separate ranks (using two StopRank objects): (i) the lowest 12 pipes (C-B) taken from the Pedal Posaune 16 pipes (notes 024-C.wav to 035-B.wav, and (ii) starting from c0, pipes taken from a Trompette 8 rank that should sound an octave lower (thus c0 = 024-C.wav). I would also like to decrease the scale by two pipes/samples. Furthermore, I want the Pipe_SoundEngine01.NormalMIDINoteNumber (once converted to ODF) for the stop to run consecutively from MIDI note numbers 36 to 103 (68 pipes). Thus (i) will start at 36 and (ii) will continue from 48 to 103. Note that the samples of the sample set start at 024-C.wav (024 is very roughly around 65 Hz), and not 036-C.wav. I don't want any pitch stretching to occur, thus keeping the different ranks in their original state.

Problem: With my current settings (below), consecutive numbering (and samples) is correct, Part (i) sounds the correct pitch, but Part (ii) sounds an octave too high:

(i) 12 lowest samples (C-B) taken from the Pedal Posaune 16:

Rank.MIDINoteNumberOfFirstPipe = 36
Rank.NumberOfPipes = 12
Rank.Samples_MIDINoteNumIncrementFromPipesToSamples = -10 [It should be -12, but I want it to be 2 scales smaller]
Rank.Samples_RankBasePitch64ftHarmNumIfAssumedTunedToConcertPitch = 0
Rank.Pitch_RankBaseOutputPitch64ftHarmonicNum = 4 [Provided by supplier; I want HW to read the pitches from the samples]
StopRank.MIDINoteNumIncrementFromDivisionToRank = 0
StopRank.MIDINoteNumOfFirstMappedDivisionKey = 36
StopRank.NumberOfMappedDivisionKeys = 68

Thus MIDI note number 36 uses sample Posaune 16/026-D.wav if I use samples two scales smaller.

(ii) From c0, samples taken from a Trompette 8:

Rank.MIDINoteNumberOfFirstPipe = 24
Rank.NumberOfPipes = 56
Rank.Samples_MIDINoteNumIncrementFromPipesToSamples = -22 [= -10 (2 scales smaller) - 12]
Rank.Pitch_RankBaseOutputPitch64ftHarmonicNum = 8 ([Provided by supplier; I want HW to read the pitches from the samples]

Thus MIDI note number 48 uses sample Trompette 8/026-D.wav if I use samples two scales smaller.

Thank you for your help.

Pharny

mdyde

Re: Combining 16 (C-B) and 8 (c0-) (8ve lower) samples into

PostThu Nov 18, 2021 9:35 am

Hello Pharny,

I'm afraid I don't really have time to be able to help in depth with this at the moment -- very sorry -- but, assuming that my understanding of what you're trying to do is correct, my brief thoughts would be:

PCF wrote:(i) 12 lowest samples (C-B) taken from the Pedal Posaune 16:

Rank.NumberOfPipes = 12
Rank.Samples_MIDINoteNumIncrementFromPipesToSamples = -10 [It should be -12, but I want it to be 2 scales smaller]
Rank.Pitch_RankBaseOutputPitch64ftHarmonicNum = 4 [Provided by supplier; I want HW to read the pitches from the samples]

Thus MIDI note number 36 uses sample Posaune 16/026-D.wav if I use samples two scales smaller.

Assuming that you want the whole of your new composite stop to play with a pitch of 16' (i.e. the new composite will be a 16' stop), off the top of my head, I would think you could try something like the following (with differences to your settings highlighted in bold):

Rank.NumberOfPipes = 12
Rank.Pitch_RankBaseOutputPitch64ftHarmonicNum = 4 [since the resulting composite stop/rank will be a pitched at 16']
StopRank.NumberOfMappedDivisionKeys = 12

PCF wrote:(ii) From c0, samples taken from a Trompette 8:

Rank.MIDINoteNumberOfFirstPipe = 24
Rank.NumberOfPipes = 56
Rank.Samples_MIDINoteNumIncrementFromPipesToSamples = -22 [= -10 (2 scales smaller) - 12]
Rank.Pitch_RankBaseOutputPitch64ftHarmonicNum = 8 ([Provided by supplier; I want HW to read the pitches from the samples]

Thus MIDI note number 48 uses sample Trompette 8/026-D.wav if I use samples two scales smaller.

Maybe try:

Rank.MIDINoteNumberOfFirstPipe = 48
Rank.NumberOfPipes = 56
Rank.Pitch_RankBaseOutputPitch64ftHarmonicNum = 4 [since the resulting composite stop/rank will be a pitched at 16']
StopRank.MIDINoteNumOfFirstMappedDivisionKey = 48
StopRank.NumberOfMappedDivisionKeys = 56
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

PCF

PostThu Nov 18, 2021 9:40 am

Thank you so much. It makes complete sense. Apologies for my errors - copying and pasting is très dangereux! :D

mdyde

PostThu Nov 18, 2021 9:52 am

Thanks, Pharny. You're very welcome.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Return to Custom Organ Design Module (CODM)