It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:27 am

Burn voicing changes into codm and odf

Using the CODM to create your own organ definitions, exchange CODM organ definitions, ...
  • Author

MPiercey

Burn voicing changes into codm and odf

PostSat Feb 05, 2022 2:03 pm

I have made a lot of voicing changes to some of my sets and would like to burn then into the codm/odf. Can someone tell me what sections of the codm/odf my voicing can be put into to make it permanent?
Thanks,
Mel.

larason2

Re: Burn voicing changes into codm and odf

PostSat Feb 05, 2022 2:19 pm

I’m afraid this isn’t as easy as it appears. There are two different approaches, as you identified, editing the ODF, and editing the CODM.

First of all, if the ODF of the organ you want to encode your voicing changes is copy protected, you will not be able to edit the ODF. If the ODF is not copy protected, you can concretize your voicing changes, but it is not recommended. The reason is that now you will have two different copies of the ODF that will behave very differently, but will for all other purposes look identical. Getting these mixed up is very easy. Al Morse made a program that helped do this, but without that program, it’s pretty tricky to translate your voicing into the parameters that the ODF recognizes. Not sure if that program is still available, and I certainly wouldn’t be able to tell you what parameters to edit.

As for editing the CODM, the only way to do this is to make a new custom organ that is identical to the organ you are wanting to modify, and make the desired voicing changes to the CODM file. That will then generate an ODF where the changes are permanent. The advantage of doing this is that you can use a different organ ID, so different versions will not overwrite each other. The disadvantage is that the starting point may not be the same, though if you are diligent with programming your CODM file it will probably sound pretty close to the same.

That all being said, the best is to save your voicing changes, and back them up using Hauptwerk’s back up utility, and keep that somewhere safe. In my opinion, that is the best option.

MPiercey

PostSat Feb 05, 2022 2:49 pm

Thanks Larason, I have already made duplicates of the odf and codms, and made extensive changes to the layout and added additional stops along with voicing changes on the voicing screen. What I want to do now is burn those changes into the codm and odf so I can share them with a friend (who has also purchased these set).

I will look into the software from Al Morse. I would still like to know for my own edification what parameters would need to be changed.

mdyde

PostSat Feb 05, 2022 3:27 pm

Hello Mel,

It isn't possible to save/export user voicing changes into a CODM ODF itself.

Briefly (since editing the 'full' ODF format is only officially supported for major sample set producers), it is technically possible to use the voicing values from the organ-configuration XML file as a basis for updating (adding to, or multiplying, depending on whether they are percentages or decibel values) the equivalent values in the ODF PipeSoundEngine01_Layer table in the 'full' ODF format (as compiled from the CODM ODF), based on matching the LayerIDs between the two tables.

To see the full attribute names, so that you can work out which attributes correspond to which between the two tables, make sure that the auto-compacting of both organ definitions and organ rank voicing are turned off on the 'General settings | General preferences | Design tools' screen. In the voicing table in the organ-configuration XML file, only the AllPersps_... attributes are relevant (since the PipeSoundEngine01_Layer doesn't allow separate values to be specified for each output perspective), plus the OutPersp1_EQ01_... attributes (which correspond to the VoicingEQ01_... attributes in the PipeSoundEngine01_Layer table).

I hope that helps, but I'll need to leave you to experiment if you do decide to try it.

Alternatively, and probably much simpler, if you just want to send you CODM ODF to one friend then you could (unofficially) simply send him your organ-configuration XML file, which he could use. He would probably then want to use the Organ Configuration Wizard to reset everything within it (MIDI settings, etc.) except for the voicing.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

MPiercey

PostSat Feb 05, 2022 5:03 pm

Thanks Martin. That is what I was needing to know. I can now get on with the project.

mdyde

PostSun Feb 06, 2022 4:39 am

Thanks, Mel. You're very welcome.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

ldeutsch

PostSun Feb 06, 2022 11:40 pm

Mel,

I suggest you use the method that Martin has indicated - this is the easiest way to do what you want to do. It works.

I have written my own software to do exactly what you are considering. I create organs using existing samples. I then carefully voice all the pipes. Finally, I use my software to extract the voicing information from Hauptwerk's organ-configuration file and merge it into the organ-definition file.

This is not for the lighthearted or for anyone who is not well-versed in creating software - but it also works. The advantage to this method is that I can create organ-definition files that I can distribute to others that contain all my voicing.

It is not worth the trouble of doing this if you only want to share a few organs with a few friends.

Les

Return to Custom Organ Design Module (CODM)