It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:06 am

Graphical requirements for a set’s GUI

Using the CODM to create your own organ definitions, exchange CODM organ definitions, ...
  • Author

VulcanStarlight

Graphical requirements for a set’s GUI

PostThu Feb 10, 2022 2:59 pm

Hello to all the development-savvy minds of Hauptwerk,

I want to run by all of you and ask: How intensive/taxing is it to bring fairly good graphics to a set? Are image elements on the screen going to make a set hard to run for any given user, system spec pending?

What I’ve been creating for a new set is moderately visually detailed, and for purposes of this question, pertainins to expression controls and other ‘movable’ sliders/indicators.

For comparison, my basic ‘stop/trem/coupler’ button-type object is 104x78 pixels.
However, since in the design I’ve placed all things into a grid form on various pages, I have made these swellbox controls 104x624 pixels in size, (eight times as tall as the standard 78px button here), and have multiple sets of expression control (7!! Divisions, each with a different color).

My concern, however, is gauging if the processor can handle 7 uniquely different colored swells, each eventually being ported to the full 128 frame version upon the CODM completion. With that in mind, can Hauptwerk handle 896 individual 104x624 png frames with relative ease? The images do not have transparency meta data, background color, anything. I ensured it was not kept on export. Just the plain images.

How and under which circumstances can I detect if this will be an issue for some user with a lesser computer system?

mdyde

Re: Graphical requirements for a set’s GUI

PostThu Feb 10, 2022 3:13 pm

Hello VulcanStarlight,

Hauptwerk runs the console graphics in a dedicated thread which shouldn't negatively affect performance of important threads (audio, MIDI, etc.), so you shouldn't really need to worry about performance being adversely affected elsewhere.

Personally, I wouldn't bother with 128 image stages for a swell pedal, though, since the user probably won't be able to distinguish that many stages visually, and it might slow the drawing down slightly, e.g. if a user has a MIDI expression pedal with some hysteresis. I'd expect that 32 would normally be plenty, and as much as would probably be readily discernible anyway.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

larason2

PostThu Feb 10, 2022 3:25 pm

On my expression pedals I have 7 stages. You probably don’t need any more than that! My buttons are 55x300 pixels on my latest set, with the total screen size 2500x1300.

VulcanStarlight

PostThu Feb 17, 2022 12:11 am

Hello all!

First and foremost, thank you to all of you for your answers to this rather technical question. Secondly, apologies for the delay! :oops: (I have since then essentially finalized the image set) On that note, it appears (per Martin's input), that these slider adjuster images would technically not slow down or put performance at risk. Then again, on the mention from larason, if any difficulties should arise, I could fall back on the further 'spacings' (larger filmstrip frame number increments for less images).

Glad to learn that graphics are processed on a different route than important audio and such! I was concerned pre-question, because graphics are something I am always inclines to add in complement of the essentials in a project. Has to look good, right? Thank you both!

mdyde

PostThu Feb 17, 2022 4:31 am

Thanks. You're very welcome.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Return to Custom Organ Design Module (CODM)