It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:51 am

Use of Pedal Bass versus Pedal Unison Off

Using the CODM to create your own organ definitions, exchange CODM organ definitions, ...
  • Author

PCF

Use of Pedal Bass versus Pedal Unison Off

PostTue Mar 15, 2022 10:58 am

Good day,

I want to create a pseudo "pedal divide" coupler, where
*only pedal stops are heard (normal pedal couplers are not deactivated) on the lowest note played (using "Pedal to Pedal bass" (1003) combined with "Pedal to Pedal unison off" (1001) to ensure that all other pedal notes will be silent);
*only melody coupler(s) are heard on the highest note played (normal pedal couplers are not deactivated); and
*Intra-manual couplers couple through melody couplers (which currently works perfectly).

In essence:
Lowest note – only pedal stops (normal pedal couplers couple);
Highest note – only melody coupler note (normal pedal couplers couple).

I can achieve the above using "Pedal to Pedal unison off" (1001) (see remark below) and a standard melody to pedal coupler.

Surprisingly, the "Pedal to Pedal unison off" (Code 1001) behaves like a bass coupler, thus only one note can sound in the pedal; and the "Pedal to Pedal bass" (Code 1003) silences all notes. And if I combine both couplers, also to expect only one note to sound at a time, then the result is no notes are sounding in the pedal.

Following the above, my questions are:
(a) Could it be that the coupler names (bass and unison off) of the pedal were just swopped in HW6?
(b) I assume that standard melody couplers operate at 8' only and that I can only change that to 16' of 8' in the ODF, or create custom couplers in CODM?
(c) Is there a way that I can create a switch, similar to "CouplerCodeFromWhichToCopyState", to link a bass and melody coupler (there will be several, depending on the number of manual divisions I want to couple)? If my understanding is correct, if I have multiple melody couplers from different manuals, then I would have to have multiple "CouplerCodeFromWhichToCopyState", one for each melody coupler, and I doubt that duplicate couplers are allowed. Is there a way to work around this?

Thank you.
Pharny

mdyde

Re: Use of Pedal Bass versus Pedal Unison Off

PostTue Mar 15, 2022 12:10 pm

Hello Pharny,

PCF wrote:I want to create a pseudo "pedal divide" coupler, where
*only pedal stops are heard (normal pedal couplers are not deactivated) on the lowest note played (using "Pedal to Pedal bass" (1003) combined with "Pedal to Pedal unison off" (1001) to ensure that all other pedal notes will be silent);
*only melody coupler(s) are heard on the highest note played (normal pedal couplers are not deactivated); and
*Intra-manual couplers couple through melody couplers (which currently works perfectly).

In essence:
Lowest note – only pedal stops (normal pedal couplers couple);
Highest note – only melody coupler note (normal pedal couplers couple).

I can achieve the above using "Pedal to Pedal unison off" (1001) (see remark below) and a standard melody to pedal coupler.

Surprisingly, the "Pedal to Pedal unison off" (Code 1001) behaves like a bass coupler, thus only one note can sound in the pedal; and the "Pedal to Pedal bass" (Code 1003) silences all notes. And if I combine both couplers, also to expect only one note to sound at a time, then the result is no notes are sounding in the pedal.

Following the above, my questions are:
(a) Could it be that the coupler names (bass and unison off) of the pedal were just swopped in HW6?

Basically, the CODM was never designed to allow bass/melody couplers that couple to/from the same division at all, and especially so in combination with matching unison-off couplers. I.e. I'm afraid it wasn't designed to do what you want to do. If you have a Ped Unison Off coupler (1001) without the corresponding Ped To Ped Bass/Melody couplers (1003) then it works properly, but Ped To Ped Bass/Melody couplers aren't currently supported.

Those division-to-same-division-melody/bass coupler codes were actually intended only for use in the 'full' ODF format, not the CODM. However, the CODM documentation does list the full set of couplers, which is a minor documentation error (probably since v2), since it should technically specifically exclude those particular types of couplers, given that the CODM doesn't actually support them. My apologies for that confusion. I've logged that as a documentation bug, and also logged as an enhancement request that you'd like the CODM to support division-to-same-division-melody/bass couplers (in combination with unison-off couplers).

PCF wrote:(b) I assume that standard melody couplers operate at 8' only and that I can only change that to 16' of 8' in the ODF, or create custom couplers in CODM?

Correct.

PCF wrote:(c) Is there a way that I can create a switch, similar to "CouplerCodeFromWhichToCopyState", to link a bass and melody coupler (there will be several, depending on the number of manual divisions I want to couple)? If my understanding is correct, if I have multiple melody couplers from different manuals, then I would have to have multiple "CouplerCodeFromWhichToCopyState", one for each melody coupler, and I doubt that duplicate couplers are allowed. Is there a way to work around this?

If you want more than two couplers to operate simultaneously from a single (e.g. user-visible) coupler, then I think you should be able to 'chain' them, e.g. like this:

- Coupler A.
- Coupler B: CouplerCodeFromWhichToCopyState=Coupler A.
- Coupler C: CouplerCodeFromWhichToCopyState=Coupler B.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

PCF

Re: Use of Pedal Bass versus Pedal Unison Off

PostWed Mar 16, 2022 1:49 am

Thank you Martin.

Return to Custom Organ Design Module (CODM)