It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:58 am

Advice to learn graphical aspects of CODM

Using the CODM to create your own organ definitions, exchange CODM organ definitions, ...
  • Author

Vangelis

Advice to learn graphical aspects of CODM

PostWed Mar 16, 2022 1:46 pm

Hello,

Some of my customers appreciate Hauptwerk and its samplesets, but often would like a really more simple graphic interface. As my projects are using old organs midified, all Hauptwerk commands are physically present. So the need of a screen is just mainly to see the combinations and stops states. (no submenu, no virtual keyboards, no settings of audio or midi parameters. Just the minimum to help the organist in case of.

I intend to build this kind of screen with CODM. As I would like focus only of the graphic aspect and not change any sound aspect of the sampleset, is there some example or tutorial to start in this way ?

By the way, where are the tables associated to a sampleset ? I would like to try some tests on an existing simple sampleset.

Thanks to all

Bernard

ldeutsch

Re: Advice to learn graphical aspects of CODM

PostWed Mar 16, 2022 2:16 pm

Bernard,

I also use the CODM in what sounds like a similar way. I use my physical console controls (stops, couplers, keys, pedals, pistons ...) so I only need simple Hauptwerk screens for use in wiring things to my consoles and debugging problems.

Hauptwerk has perfectly functional default screens that the CODM will generate automatically for you. They will give you a very simple text-based stop and coupler screen and a graphical picture of your keyboards.

If you want more, take a look at some of the CODM files on my web site here:

http://www.nightbloomingjazzmen.com/NBJ_Organ_Software.html

All my CODM files are posted for everyone to use. I also have some very basic graphics in my sets for stops and couplers if you want to use them.

Les

mdyde

PostWed Mar 16, 2022 2:35 pm

Hello Bernard,

In case you might not already realise this: there are two distinct organ definition file (ODF) formats (both of which are effectively different programming languages):

a) The 'full' ODF format, which is large and complex, but almost infinitely flexible. This is what nearly all commercial sample set producers use, since they can implement anything that they like. However, because it's so complex and would typically take quite a lot of time to master, we only officially provide support for creating/editing files in that format to major sample set producers.

b) The CODM ODF format, which is intentionally much simpler, easier, and quicker to learn and use, whilst having just enough flexibility for modelling the main features commonly found on most organs.

The Custom Organ Design Module (CODM) is a compiler which compiles CODM ODFs to 'full-format' ODFs. Its user guide and the CODM ODF format documentation can be found on the 'Design tools' menu in Hauptwerk, and explains the relationship between the two formats, as well as its capabilities (including its graphical user interface capabilities) and how to use it. I'd suggest starting by reading through that document, and examining and trying ("Design tools | Load custom organ") some of the example CODM ODFs that are installed with Hauptwerk. The various St. Anne's example CODM ODFs illustrate the stages involved in building up a fully-featured CODM ODF with graphical interface.

However, you can't use the CODM to modify/extend an existing 'full-format' ODF (e.g. an ODF from a commercial sample set) directly. You would instead need to create/recreate all of the desired existing functionality from scratch within a CODM ODF of your own. A CODM ODF can reference sample files from commercial sample sets (assuming their licences allow it), but it can't borrow/inherit functionality from an existing full-format ODF.

[Edit: P.S. I see Les and I replied at the same time; thanks, Les.]
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Vangelis

PostThu Mar 17, 2022 10:51 am

Hello Les and Martin !

Really thanks for your replies. That help me really to start my learning of CODM. I will watch the Les website quickly. Thanks again to Martin, we exchanged some years ago about SYSEX in version 4.2 and you simply saved my life ! Best wishes Martin of success for your unbelievable product !

Kind regards

Bernard

mdyde

PostThu Mar 17, 2022 10:54 am

Thanks very much, Bernard. You're very welcome.
Best regards, Martin.

Vangelis

PostThu Mar 17, 2022 11:13 am

Hello Martin,

Following your reply, how am I able to know if a commercial sampleset license could be modified or not ? especially about graphic aspect ?

Thanks for your support

Bernard

mdyde

PostThu Mar 17, 2022 11:23 am

Hello Bernard,

If a sample set's samples are encrypted then it's technically possible for the sample set producer to have set a flag within them to prevent them from being referenced from any ODF other than the one they were supplied with, so as to comply with their licensing conditions. To my knowledge only OrganArt Media sample sets have that restriction (since Prof. Maier intends them purely as playable models of their real organs).

However, if any other sample sets do also have that licensing restriction then I'd expect that they'd say so in their licence agreements. In any case, if you were to try to reference a rank of such samples from any other ODF then you'd get an error when trying to load the organ.

(Note that you can still reference encrypted sample ranks from a CODM ODF in other cases; most encrypted samples don't have that licensing restriction.)
Best regards, Martin.

mdyde

PostThu Mar 17, 2022 11:27 am

P.S. Or if you're referring to editing a (copy of a) non-encrypted 'full-format' (non-CODM) ODF then whilst there's nothing technologically preventing you from doing that, you should check that the relevant sample set's licence allows it (and any edits would be at your own risk of course, and unsupported.)
Best regards, Martin.

larason2

PostThu Mar 17, 2022 12:44 pm

Most of MDA’s ODF files are encrypted, so the ODF cannot be edited for them. But they do work great with the CODM!

Return to Custom Organ Design Module (CODM)