It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:23 am

Notes incorrectly sound two octaves higher

Using the CODM to create your own organ definitions, exchange CODM organ definitions, ...
  • Author

PCF

Notes incorrectly sound two octaves higher

PostSat Mar 19, 2022 6:41 am

Good day

I am working on a composite using CODM (HW6). The pitches of all notes (all ranks) used to sound as they should be. Since yesterday, on selected ranks 4' and above and present in all sample sets required, the pitch is now sounding 2 octaves higher for notes usually from MIDI note 51.

I have checked all the settings (in particular Rank.Samples_RankBasePitch64ftHarmNumIfAssumedTunedToConcertPitch and Pitch_RankBaseOutputPitch64ftHarmonicNum) and they are in order. The database generated to import the organ is correct, as well as the resulting exported database and xml organ definition file. I have also reinstalled the required sample sets (after rebooting the PC). The problem seems to persists.

I would really appreciate some help.

Best
Pharny

mdyde

Re: Notes incorrectly sound two octaves higher

PostSat Mar 19, 2022 7:00 am

Hello Pharny,

Do you mean that you're having a problem with all organs, or just with your CODM ODF? For example, does the standard St. Anne's sample set still work properly? How about if you load one of the St. Anne's example CODM ODFs (via 'Design tools | Load custom organ ...')?

Also, if you load your CODM ODF via 'Design tools | Load custom organ ...' and, on the options screen, make sure that:

- All of the 'Reset ...' options are ticked, and:
- 'Show rank audio memory options screen is ticked, and:'
- 'Skip all organ definition validation for speed' is *not* ticked

... and then just OK the Rank Audio Memory Options screen, does that solve it? (Those options would ensure that any user settings would be cleared and the cache regenerated, so that any changes you had made in your CODM ODF would be picked up.)

If not, presumably you must have changed something in your CODM ODF since it was last working, so it should just be a case of trying to pinpoint which specific change it was that caused the problem. For example, you could use a file comparison utility (such as UltraCompare) to compare your current CODM ODF to a copy of it from when it was previously definitely working (assuming you have a backup copy of it saved from that time).
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

PCF

PostSat Mar 19, 2022 9:42 am

Martin,

Do you mean that you're having a problem with all organs, or just with your CODM ODF?

Yes, just with this one. No issues with the other CODMs I have tested.

I have ...
load your CODM ODF via 'Design tools | Load custom organ ...' and, on the options screen, make sure that:

- All of the 'Reset ...' options are ticked, and:
- 'Show rank audio memory options screen is ticked, and:'
- 'Skip all organ definition validation for speed' is *not* ticked

... and it worked.

The moment I added an IRR (Church 06; no custom settings), the original issue of my problematic CODM ODF returned. In fact, it remained then for all other IRRs (even without an IRR). This did not happen with any other of the CODM ODFs I have tested.

I will inspect the CODM ODF for an "accidental" change. Thank you for introducing me to UltraCompare. Regrettably, I don't have an earlier version :( .

Thank you so much for your help.

PCF

PostMon Mar 21, 2022 6:20 am

Hello Martin,

I think the problem could be when the Sample table (specifically the pitch specification method) of the ODF format is compiled from the CODM format, where different sample pitch specification methods are generated for samples belonging to a rank (only ranks used to also compile mixture stops).

For example, I have used one rank (2') as a normal stop rank (has a unique ID), but also used it to compile a four-rank mixture (e.g., using the rank four times, each with a unique rank ID). When I use it as a normal rank, I only specify the appropriate "Pitch_RankBaseOutputPitch64ftHarmonicNum" value, thus HW will then read the precise pitch from sampler chunk in sample file. However, for each of the four mixture ranks, I will in addition specify the "Samples_RankBasePitch64ftHarmNumIfAssumedTunedToConcertPitch", where the two values will be the note and rank pitch of a sample assuming the sample is A-440 equal temp. The result after the conversion process is that for the normal stop rank, two pitch specification methods are now specified, with an arbitrary division point in the MIDI note number.

I have no idea how this can happen in the conversion process from the CODM format to the ODF format. As far as know, only one pitch specification method can be specified for all notes of a rank in the CODM format.

Is there a way to work around the above challenge?

Best wishes
Pharny

PS: I am using SQLiteStudio for the custom organ database.
PPS: I have not changed anything to my PC except for updating the HW licensing files. Should this be considered?

mdyde

PostMon Mar 21, 2022 8:12 am

Hello Pharny,

Thanks for the status update.

I've had a look at way that the CODM compiler works, and if you have several CODM-ODF.Rank objects that use the same set of physical sample files (i.e. for which CODM-ODF.Rank.Samples_InstallationPackageID and CODM-ODF.Rank.Samples_MainSampleFileFolder match) then it also assumes that all of those CODM-ODF.Rank objects will either have CODM-ODF.Rank.Samples_RankBasePitch64ftHarmNumIfAssumedTunedToConcertPitch specified or not, i.e. it assumes that you will either be reading the samples' pitches from the sample files or not for all ranks which use that same set of samples. It's done that way to avoid more objects being loaded into memory than needed.

It was never intended that anyone would sometimes want to use a given rank of sample files by reading the samples' stored pitches, and at other times not, all within the same CODM ODF, because if your specify CODM-ODF.Rank.Samples_RankBasePitch64ftHarmNumIfAssumedTunedToConcertPitch then you are stating that the sample files are tuned perfectly to A-440/equal, in which case there would be no point/difference in using the pitches read from the files anyway (given that doing so should yield exactly the same results as assuming A-440/equal). I.e. you should specify that attribute or not, based solely on whether the samples are indeed turned to A-440/equal, as covered in the documentation for that attribute:

"Hauptwerk must know the exact pitch of each sample so that the required amount of re-pitching can be calculated to play the organ with any user-selected temperament. The sample set creator can either have detected the exact pitch of the samples and saved them into the sample files, or have re-tuned the samples perfectly to concert pitch (A=440 Hz) and equal temperament.

In the former case, this parameter should be set to zero (in which case Hauptwerk will read the sample pitches from the samples themselves). In the latter case (samples tuned to A-440/equal) then this value gives the pitch of the samples by specifying the harmonic number that they represent, relative to the fundamental of a 64' stop.
"

If you want to use the same rank of samples for multiple CODM-ODF.Rank objects then you would either need to specify CODM-ODF.Rank.Samples_RankBasePitch64ftHarmNumIfAssumedTunedToConcertPitch for all of those ('sample-sharing') ranks, or leave it blank for all of them.
Use CODM-ODF.Rank.Pitch_RankBaseOutputPitch64ftHarmonicNum to perform any desired pitch-shifting instead.
Best regards, Martin.

mdyde

PostMon Mar 21, 2022 8:34 am

P.S. To clarify: specify exactly the same CODM-ODF.Rank.Samples_RankBasePitch64ftHarmNumIfAssumedTunedToConcertPitch value (whether zero or otherwise) for all CODM-ODF.Rank objects which specify the same rank of physical sample files (and use CODM-ODF.Rank.Pitch_RankBaseOutputPitch64ftHarmonicNum to perform any desired pitch-shifting instead).
Best regards, Martin.

Return to Custom Organ Design Module (CODM)