It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:54 am

Determining Times for Note Release?

Using the CODM to create your own organ definitions, exchange CODM organ definitions, ...
  • Author

Regnillub

Determining Times for Note Release?

PostMon Apr 04, 2022 3:15 pm

When crafting a CODM for a rank, what is the best way to determine the value for release times for short and medium notes? When searching example CODM files from Hauptwerk and other sources, the values vary quite a bit, and the numbers appear arbitrary. The fields of interest are:
Samples_MaxNoteTimeMsForShortNoteReleaseSamplesIfAny
and
Samples_MaxNoteTimeMsForMediumNoteReleaseSamplesIfAny

Thanks!
Tom..

larason2

Re: Determining Times for Note Release?

PostMon Apr 04, 2022 5:34 pm

Honestly you probably won’t be able to tell the difference between most of the options. For that reason I pretty much always stick to the values MDA uses in the St. Anne’s examples (I can’t remember off hand, but I think it’s 250 and 500 ms). If the folder has the release times specified, like for most SP sets, I use that, otherwise, I stick to what I said above.

mdyde

Re: Determining Times for Note Release?

PostTue Apr 05, 2022 3:37 am

Hello Tom,

To add to larason2's reply:

- If you're lucky the sample set producer might have specified the intended values by populating the CustomOrganRank table in the installation package definition file (for the installation package that contains the samples). However, I don't think many producers do that.

- Failing that, if the sample set's organ definition file (ODF) isn't encrypted, you could search it for ReleaseSelCriteria_LatestKeyReleaseTimeMs (an attribute of the Pipe_SoundEngine01_ReleaseSample table) to see the range of values used. You would potentially need to disable ODF auto-compacting on the Design Tools tab of the general preferences screen, then force the ODF to be regenerated (so as to de-auto-compact it) via "Design Tools | Load organ (with design options)".

- Failing that, you could conceivably try asking the sample set producer.

- Failing that, you'd just have to experiment, e.g. using the values larason2 mentioned as a starting point.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Return to Custom Organ Design Module (CODM)