It is currently Sun May 19, 2024 4:47 pm

current Hauptwerk version in General table

Using the CODM to create your own organ definitions, exchange CODM organ definitions, ...
  • Author

marclabru

current Hauptwerk version in General table

PostSun Jul 30, 2023 4:06 pm

I wonder shat I should write in the CurrentHauptwerkVersion attribute in the General table. The Hauptwerk version that I use (HW7)? or the minimum HW version other people who want to use the organ, like HW 5 or 6. If I would fill inn HW 7 can someone with HW 5 use this organ? is it backwords compatible?

mdyde

Re: current Hauptwerk version in General table

PostMon Jul 31, 2023 4:13 am

Hello marclabru,

This is the excerpt from the documentation ("Design tools | View Custom Organ Design Module ... format documentation" on the main menu) for that attribute:

"The version of Hauptwerk for which the file was created. Hauptwerk uses this value to ensure that a custom organ definition file is compatible with the version of Hauptwerk installed by a user, and whether the user needs to upgrade Hauptwerk or to migrate the custom organ definition file to a later format."

If you use Hauptwerk's built-in CODM SQLite database import function to save the CODM ODF, Hauptwerk will automatically set that attribute to the current version of Hauptwerk that you're using, since the file will be saved in that format.

If you manually set it to a lower version (e.g. 5) than the version you're using (e.g. 7) then you need to make certain that the file is truly in the format required by the lower version, otherwise it may not load or work properly in the earlier version. If you search the above document for each major version number above the version you want to target (e.g. 5) up to the version you're using (e.g. 7) by prefixing each version with 'HWv', you can check whether there were any format changes in that major version.

Hence if you're using Hauptwerk v7 but want to target v5 then search the document for "HWv6" and "HWv7". Trying those searches myself, I see that only one attribute was changed between v5 and v7: "_General.UniqueOrganID", and the only change to that was that it it now allows the full range of values so that commercial producers can use values outside of the 800000-899999 'personal/testing' range.

Having checked that the file's format is indeed valid for the specified version, do make sure that someone actually tries it on the target version (e.g. v5), for good measure.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

ldeutsch

PostMon Jul 31, 2023 2:10 pm

Martin,

Your answer is, of course, correct and you include excellent advise as well. I wonder, though, if there might be a need for a bit of a HW update here.

I maintain a current version of HW (at the moment v7) as well as once machine with v4. I test in both these versions. However, I have no way to test in v5 or v6 since upgrading to v7. I imagine most developers are in a similar situation. Perhaps, we should give HW the ability to check CODM files for compatibility with earlier versions (at least from v5 up to current) automatically in the future? This could alleviate compatibility issues that developers cannot test themselves.

Les

mdyde

PostMon Jul 31, 2023 2:47 pm

Hello Les,

Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't think we'd have the resources to add and maintain functionality for checking backward compatibility or back-porting, I'm afraid. It's intended that sample set producers should use the minimum version of Hauptwerk that they want to support for developing and testing their sample sets, by keeping a Hauptwerk installation at that version for the purpose. Hauptwerk v6+ will accept a licence for a later Hauptwerk version as valid, and sample set producers releasing sample sets publicly have NFR licences for v5 for the purpose (or could potentially get one if they contact us to request it).

The only supported way to have two Hauptwerk installations at separate versions is for them to be installed on separate OS partitions (or separate computers), but sample set producers can contact us for a a work-around if needed.
Best regards, Martin.

ldeutsch

PostMon Jul 31, 2023 9:45 pm

Martin,

I completely understand. How might I get NFR license for HW5 for testing? I was not aware HW5 was even still available. I have enough spare machines for this - but the idea of maintaining a third iLok license is a bit daunting! I will consider the cost of this before making a decision. I only release a few composite sets each year to the public.

Les

mdyde

PostTue Aug 01, 2023 4:12 am

Thanks, Les.

Since you're a sample set developer, I've deposited a Hauptwerk v5 NFR (not-for-resale) licence in your iLok account. You can then just activate and use it on your existing dongle (or use it via iLok Cloud if you prefer) on one of your spare computers running Hauptwerk v5.
Best regards, Martin.

ldeutsch

PostTue Aug 01, 2023 2:49 pm

Martin,

Thank you as always!

Les

mdyde

PostTue Aug 01, 2023 2:51 pm

Thanks, Les. You're welcome.
Best regards, Martin.

Return to Custom Organ Design Module (CODM)