It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:58 am

Echoing Stop Input

Building organ consoles for use with Hauptwerk, adding MIDI to existing consoles, obtaining parts, ...
  • Author

Coenraads

Echoing Stop Input

PostSun Jan 02, 2022 6:08 pm

VPO running HW 4, with lighted stop panel controlled by pushbuttons. An Arduino scans and toggles the lights when a button is pushed. Arduino sends Note ON/OFF messages to HW and thereby operates the virtual stops. This all works.
Can't figure out how to get these messages to reflect back to the Arduino on HW's OUT channel. Stops were Auto Detected and Auto MIDI Output was selected. Am looking at HW output using a MIDI monitor. I know it works because it detects output from the VPO if I connect it directly to the monitor. Test: Send ON and Send OFF shows nothing.
MIDI IN port shows Delta AP MIDI.
P. 280 in the HW manual tells me echoing is possible but I'm having trouble finding other relevant information.
Help???? Please. John

larason2

Re: Echoing Stop Input

PostSun Jan 02, 2022 6:44 pm

First, I think it’s important to make it so that the triggering the stop on or off on the arduino doesn’t activate the light. Otherwise the Arduino is fighting with Hauptwerk. Only have the lights turn on when the Arduino receives a midi signal from Hauptwerk. I’m assuming you’re using a midi shield? If so, you have the right components, but if not, as far as I know, you need an optoisolator circuit for the arduino to detect midi. Then modify the program so the lights come on as a result of a midi signal from Hauptwerk. In Hauptwerk, when you’re testing, you can go to the midi output part and send a test signal on any channel and for any note. Hopefully this helps!

Coenraads

PostSun Jan 02, 2022 7:28 pm

Thanks Larason for your quick response. I'm aware of the possibility of HW and the Arduino fighting each other but you are way ahead of me. At the moment the Arduino is in control and my aim is to put HW in control. The Arduino is all ready to receive input via a MIDI shield but I have yet to rewrite the software. Right now I am simply trying to get output (any output) from HW and looking for it using my MIDI monitor app. Once that works, I'll proceed to the next step. My ultimate goal is to be able to use HW's combination action.
I don't know if this relevant, but I'm still running HW on the HP PC I bought many years ago to specifically run HW in the very early days when HW only was available for PCs. I recently replaced the motherboard and take some pride in keeping it running for just this one purpose. And yes, I'm still using Windows XP .

NickNelson

PostMon Jan 03, 2022 12:29 am

I'm not sure how relevant this is, but the issue of stops control units 'fighting' with HW for control was covered in the document referred to here:
https://forum.hauptwerk.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=14031&p=104062&hilit=atmega8515#p104056.

If I understand the problem correctly, you just need to make sure that the Arduino doesn't pass on any message that it acts upon itself.

Nick

mdyde

PostMon Jan 03, 2022 4:15 am

Hello Coenraads,

In case it helps, you could turn on the MIDI logging option on the 'General settings | General preferences | Advanced ...' screen tab in Hauptwerk, try turning your physical stop on and off, and then use 'Help | View activity log' to see the MIDI messages that Hauptwerk received and sent.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

GrahamH

PostMon Jan 03, 2022 9:42 am

With apologies if this is irrelevant or a "red herring", but I had a similar problem when I first tried to make an Arduino MIDI decoder.
In General settings/General configuration wizard make sure you have enabled MIDI output, and in General settings make sure you have ticked the appropriate MIDI out boxes.

It is more straightforward if you use NOTE ON/OFF messages rather than PROGRAM CHANGE messages to activate Hauptwerk’s on-screen stops and couplers.
In Organ settings, configure:
Primary output as Auto MIDI output (match to primary input settings) and
MIDI OUT port as the actual port that your MIDI decoder is connected to, rather than the default <All enabled ports>.

Important: In order to detect Hauptwerk’s MIDI out messages you need to connect, by means of a real or virtual MIDI cable, the MIDI OUT port that Hauptwerk is using to the MIDI IN port that your detection software (eg MIDI-OX) is using (and that yourArduino will eventually be using).

It took me a while to realise that simply configuring MIDI-OX to display MIDI output does not work. :oops:

Incidentally, I recommend using real MIDI cables rather than virtual MIDI cables to minimise possible “MIDI loop” issues with Hauptwerk.

HTH
Graham

GrahamH

PostMon Jan 03, 2022 9:48 am

On re-reading your original post, I get the impression that you are trying to use the same Arduino for encoding and decoding?
I think using a separate Arduino for decoding is much easier!

Graham

Coenraads

PostMon Jan 03, 2022 12:51 pm

Well, I feel stupid!
It turns out the MIDI out on my M-Audio Delta Audiophile 2496 was not enabled. Duh.
Thanks to all who took time to offer advice.
John

Return to DIY organ consoles / MIDI