It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:48 am

Hauptwerk Tutti Doesn’t Recognize Pedalboard

Building organ consoles for use with Hauptwerk, adding MIDI to existing consoles, obtaining parts, ...
  • Author

DBaar

Hauptwerk Tutti Doesn’t Recognize Pedalboard

PostMon Jan 24, 2022 5:16 pm

I am converting an Allen T12a organ to play Hauptwerk. Two keyboards, stops and pedalboard are wired and connected to their own HW Connector Strips. The three Connector Strips connect to Tutti Encoder via ribbon cable.

The keyboards and stops test good and work with HW. I have a problem with the pedalboard. The Mac Midi testing app nor HW recognizes the pedalboard. The pedalboard has six whiskers that make contact with copper wipers. I have tested continuity for each note both line and common pins to its respective projecting whisker. All test good. I tested each note line wire to its solder pad on the Connection Strip and the commons of each note to the common solder pad. All test good. Using a meter, I tested each note with pedal depressed to the respective note on the Connection Strip. Got a signal for all notes.
Using a jumper wire with the pedalboard connected to Tutti, I shorted each note with its common. All test good.

So it seems to me, the pedalboard is not the problem. When notes are depressed a meter signal is received. What am I missing that allows me to play the pedalboard with the mouse click but HW doesn’t recognize it?

Sorry for the long winded explanation but I felt some background would help to better understand the issue.

I have photos but don’t see where they can be loaded.

mnailor

Re: Hauptwerk Tutti Doesn’t Recognize Pedalboard

PostMon Jan 24, 2022 5:46 pm

Since the Mac MIDI tester doesn't see messages from the pedals, it isn't a problem in your Hauptwerk settings. Something's wrong between your encoder and the computer, or before the encoder.

DBaar

PostMon Jan 24, 2022 6:13 pm

Thank you for your reply. So far the only test I haven’t run is the ribbon connector from the connection strip to Tutti encoder. Maybe I should have started there but I assumed a new ribbon cable surely wouldn’t be the problem. I’ll give that a go next.

mnailor

PostMon Jan 24, 2022 6:42 pm

Does the encoder provide any indicators for activity from its inputs? I don't know this gear.

DBaar

PostMon Jan 24, 2022 7:18 pm

Thanks for your reply.

I don’t know the answer to that question. Along with ringing out the ribbon cable connections between the connection strip and the Tutti encoder, I’ll check out your suggestion. Regards,

Db

DBaar

PostTue Jan 25, 2022 11:06 am

Just reporting back on Hauptwerk not recognizing the pedalboard.

Today I tested the pedalboard ribbon cable to Tutti and discovered the ribbon cable was defective. Installed a new one and the pedalboard was energized and played. Hindsight, why didn’t I start trouble shooting the ribbon cable instead of the pedalboard wiring/solder pads.

Thanks all for your suggestions and comments.

Db

Return to DIY organ consoles / MIDI