It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:35 am

Expression pedal pot length

Building organ consoles for use with Hauptwerk, adding MIDI to existing consoles, obtaining parts, ...
  • Author

Spharticus

Expression pedal pot length

PostMon Sep 05, 2022 11:20 am

Hello - I ordered sliding 10k pots for my expression pedals, but I didn't pay attention to the length so they are 128mm travel. Is that an issue? I think that HW will read the min/max regardless, does anyone have any experience with this? Thank you.

larason2

Re: Expression pedal pot length

PostMon Sep 05, 2022 3:05 pm

It may or may not be a problem. The ones I buy are 45 mm long. That produces a pedal travel that works pretty well for my pedal design. You can move the base of the mount further back, or mount it higher up on the pedal, depending on how you mount it. The problem you might run into is that the pot doesn't go to it's furthest extent to the top and bottom. I think this can be adjusted for in Hauptwerk, but it also depends on your mounting design. Another potential problem is the pedal ends up with too many degrees of movement, which can be rectified by changing the pedal design. Since you already bought them anyway, I'd give them a try. If they really don't work out, I'd get 45 mm ones:

https://www.mouser.ca/ProductDetail/Alp ... cycode=CAD

Spharticus

PostTue Sep 06, 2022 8:07 am

Thanks. Hoping that Martin will chime in... :)

mdyde

PostTue Sep 06, 2022 9:06 am

Hello Spharticus,

I can't really help with wiring/electronics questions, but Hauptwerk can indeed handle MIDI CC value ranges less than the full 0-127. Auto-detection will work provided that the MIDI CC value range is greater than 8 (although the greater the range, the smoother the results will be across the pedal's travel, of course).
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Spharticus

PostTue Sep 06, 2022 9:52 am

Thanks Martin. I've got the wiring part, my question was specific to the sliding pots before I hooked everything up. I have the metal swell shoes like these -

https://20244z3wprl41p4p604eqtvc-wpengi ... Pedals.png

They don't travel the full 128mm of the pots I have but they do move most of the length. That should be enough for a smooth experience. Thanks for your help!

mdyde

PostTue Sep 06, 2022 9:57 am

Thanks, Spharticus. You're very welcome.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Return to DIY organ consoles / MIDI