It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:44 pm

Replacing my organ keyboards

Building organ consoles for use with Hauptwerk, adding MIDI to existing consoles, obtaining parts, ...
  • Author

Matova

Replacing my organ keyboards

PostWed Feb 15, 2023 2:23 am

Hi everyone, I I'm planning to replace the keyboards of my organ for three news fatar Fatar 61 TP-60LF could anyone tell me where I could find step by step instructions and explication how to do it ? what should I need more apart from keyboards ?

Many thanks in advance.

larason2

Re: Replacing my organ keyboards

PostWed Feb 15, 2023 8:40 am

Firstly, what kind of organ do you have? Depending on your organ, it may actually be easier and faster for you to refelt your existing keyboards and clean the contacts. If you currently have fatar keyboards, it is easier and faster just to replace the contact strips and refelt them if they are giving you trouble. However, for all of these, we need to know what kind of organ you have to help you. There are no step by step guides to doing this as far as I know.

Matova

PostWed Feb 15, 2023 9:37 am

hi, thanks for your response. I have a three keyboards Hoffrichter console that is 15 years old , I don't know what keyboards are. For sure are too old to take advance to anything.

larason2

PostWed Feb 15, 2023 5:56 pm

If I recall correctly, Hoffrichter included wood core keyboards that may have been hand made with their consoles (but may have been MDF inside). Still, these are considered pretty good keyboards, and I would start by replacing the felt and cleaning the contacts, you'll probably be surprised by the result. If there are any springs, they may need to be replaced, but this is rare at 15 years old.

Fatar keyboards are inferior to anything wood core, and they don't mount the same way, so you're looking at fairly extensive woodworking modification of the key cheeks and support frames, and unless the new fatars come pre wired for Midi, you'll also have to do some rewiring if you want to replace them that way.

goldeneye

PostThu Feb 16, 2023 6:48 am

I am in a similar situation, but I am useless with anything that involves DIY.
I am looking to replace my old 3 manual plastic M-Audio keyboard stack with a wooden keyboard with a nice simulated mechanic action (would like a bit of "bite" to the keys).
I am quite taken with Schwindler keyboards from what they say on their website. Magnus organs seem to produce ones that are plastic/wood or metal/wood.
Does anyone have any other interesting recommendations? I am trying to avoid the more costly UHT route.
I am UK based.

mundiglo

PostSat Feb 25, 2023 7:07 am

I switched from three M Audio keyboards recently and compared Fatar, Schwindler and UHT. Actually, there is nothing that comes even close to UHT. They are expensive but worth every cent.
Cheers
Olaf

larason2

PostSat Feb 25, 2023 12:22 pm

I think those are your options. Fatar, Schwindler, UHT. There are other types sold used, but none that I know of that are still being made. You can also get a pipe organ builder to make you some keyboards, but they won't be cheaper than UHT! Classic Midi Works in Canada sell Fatars with wooden naturals. They also self mount in their plastic frames. I'd go with the Schwindlers from Pedamidikit. I think that's the best keyboard for the money. Fatars feel good new, but it's annoying having to replace the tracker bubble pads.

goldeneye

PostThu Mar 16, 2023 5:14 pm

larason2 wrote:I think those are your options. Fatar, Schwindler, UHT. There are other types sold used, but none that I know of that are still being made. You can also get a pipe organ builder to make you some keyboards, but they won't be cheaper than UHT! Classic Midi Works in Canada sell Fatars with wooden naturals. They also self mount in their plastic frames. I'd go with the Schwindlers from Pedamidikit. I think that's the best keyboard for the money. Fatars feel good new, but it's annoying having to replace the tracker bubble pads.

Thanks for you comments. After deliberation I have indeed gone and ordered Schwindlers, the wooden keys with Frontalino con chiocciolina (Front panel with snail carving) just look divine. I think you are right they are perhaps the best keyboards on the market for the money.

Return to DIY organ consoles / MIDI