It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 10:40 am

Anyone using a RVOKOMS MIDI Cable?

Building organ consoles for use with Hauptwerk, adding MIDI to existing consoles, obtaining parts, ...
  • Author

engrssc

Anyone using a RVOKOMS MIDI Cable?

PostThu Mar 05, 2020 2:54 pm

https://thepricetest.com/asin/us/B07GV5838X

Marketing talk:
MIDI Adapter Cable, DISDIM High Speed OTG USB 2.0 Type B Converter Cord Compatible for iPhone Xs/Max / X /8/7/6/iPad to USB Microphone, MIDI Keyboard, Electronic Instruments and More
[ MIDI Cable] This midi usb cable is design for iPhone / iPad connect to electronic piano, audio DAC, midi keyboard, electronic drum and more Type-B interface devices which can play music with your friend or family.
[Durable Materials] DISDIM midi controller made of PVC body and aluminum alloy jack, it is not only flexible, tangle-free, durable, but also anti-oxidation and lightweight. Built in Apple original chip and pure copper wire, ensure to stable and fast transfer data and provide high quality sound source.
[Easy to Use] This adapter doesn’t need install driver, just plug and play. Connect this cord to the midi keyboard, midi instruments and other electronic music devices, enjoy play music.
[Widely compatible] DISDIM midi keyboard compatible with iPhone X / Xs /Xs Max / 8 / 8 Plus / 7 / 7 Plus / 6 / 6 Plus / 6s / 6s Plus / 5 / 5c / 5s / ES / iPad mini / Air / Pro / iPod touch and more. Support iOS 12.
[What do you get] DISDIM usb midi cable and 12 months warranty and our friendly customer service. If you have any problem, please contact us.
DISDIM midi cable is use for iPhone / iPad / iPod connect to electronic instruments, MIDI keyboard and more. It is convenient to play music. It doesn’t need install app, plug and play. This midi adapter built in original chip which provide high quality sound.

Specification
Length:1.2m(3.3ft)
Material: PVC, aluminum alloy
Type:Type-B

Support Devices
iPhone: iPhone Xs / Xs Max / X / 8 / 8 Plus / 7 / 7 Plus /6s / 6s Plus / 6 / 6 Plus / ES / 5s / 5c / 5
iPad: iPad mini / iPad mini 2 / iPad Air / iPad Air 2 / iPad mini 3 / iPad mini 4 / iPad Pro (9.7inch) / iPad Pro (12.9 inch)
iPod: iPod touch
Type B Devices: YAMAHA electric piano, Roland electric piano, electronic drum, Audio DAC, MIDI keyboards, Mojo decoder, USB microphone, electronic mixer, KORG machine and more

Note
1. iPhone / iPad is NOT support more than 100mA devices. If show “The connected device consumes too much power” that explain that the external device consumes more than 100mA, NOT item quality.
2.This usb midi is NOT support U disk, mouse, card reader, speaker, gamepad, printer, recording pen, portable WiFi, GPS, scanning gun and Mobile Hard disk.
3.Please connect the instrument first, then connect the devices.

Rgds,
Ed

csw900

Re: Anyone using a RVOKOMS MIDI Cable?

PostThu Mar 05, 2020 4:44 pm

This cable is totally unsuitable for use with HW. It is NOT a midi to usb adapter cable.

Midi to usb adapter cables have a midi DIN connector at one end and a standard flat usb connector the other. The required electronics are usually contained in a plastic "box" somewhere in the middle of the cable. No computer software driver is needed and the cable is powered from the usb connector.

otg stands for "on the go" and is associated with connecting external equipment to a phone or tablet.

csw900

engrssc

PostThu Mar 05, 2020 4:49 pm

Totally aware of all of that. So what are you saying? A friend does use it to connect his keyboard. Plays it thru his tablet. Haven't had a chance to ask any details.

Rgds,
Ed

engrssc

PostThu Mar 05, 2020 7:16 pm

I could add, going strictly by recall (don't quote me), I want to say I think his tablet was a Dell, running HW Free Edition (remember that gem) using St Anne's with a 4 octave (49 note) keyboard for practice.. I recall the tablet having a touch screen as well. He listened using a headset, quite a compact set up. He could have had some sort of adapter between the above OTG cable and the tablet, dunno. For sure, it wasn't an UNO (adapter).

We joked that he could make this outfit even more compact if he could do a hack on the keyboard so that it could be folded in half. I don't remember there being a power source (such as a wall wart), not sure about that either. But it did work for his purpose.

A definite problem for music major college students is finding an instrument to use for practice, esp on the cheap.

Rgds,
Ed

jkinkennon

PostThu Mar 05, 2020 7:27 pm

Well the link is to a cable and the photo is a illustration of the wiring instead of showing the tablet connector so that's confusing. The description speaks of an internal chip(s) so it's reasonable to assume it is in fact a OTG to MIDI cable with a tiny MCU buried in one of the connector housings. Any good? But one and try it out would be my recommendation as there's not much to lose and a bit to learn in the process.

engrssc

PostThu Mar 05, 2020 7:43 pm

Hi John,

There definitely is that temptation, that is if I could justify a "need".
I'm finding some encouraging threads suggesting that what my friend (actually he is the son of a friend) did is for sure doable. We are talking multi layered micro miniature chips available built into these OTG cables. 8)

And, yes, the answer is an email away. I'm prone to do some background research so as to be asking intelligent questions. :roll:

Rgds,
Ed

jkinkennon

PostThu Mar 05, 2020 7:59 pm

Ed, I googled RVOKOMS MIDI and found a photo showing an exploded view of 2 or 3 IC's on the iOS end of the cable. So I leave it to someone else to try as I don't own an Apple device.

engrssc

PostThu Mar 05, 2020 8:21 pm

My Mac Mini might be an overkill candidate, however. I have several VILab virtual piano sets that are licensed via iLok and could be used. One thing I've found is that the "native, internal" audio of the Mini is very good, albeit 2 channel (some call it stereo) which would work for a virtual piano such as the Ravenscroft with a separate amp and speakers. What I don't like about the Mini is the power on setup. I do have a solenoid mechanical to do it with single shot driver. Works fine, just kinda a not so clean approach as in klutzy. I definitely don't like UNO's for sure, so maybe this be the needed excuse to look into the OTG RVOKOMS MIDI Cable?

Rgds,
Ed

csw900

PostFri Mar 06, 2020 9:45 am

Hi Ed

You ask what I am saying?

Well the ad in your url at the top of this page clearly says that this cable is for IOS devices. HW will not install or run on any IOS system. So there is your answer as I said this cable will not work with HW.

However I have used other otg cables with success on Android tablets and phones. But HW will not run on Android either.

If you want to run HW on a tablet then it must be a Windows tablet. The tablet must be 64 bits and have enough memory (May be OK with St. Annes but unlikely to be OK with larger or encrypted samplesets.) And I say first get HW working on the tablet you want to use and only then consider a suitable cable to connect your manual/s.

otg is merely a means to get power OUT of a usb charging socket which normally takes power IN. As the url says you get 100mA at around 4V. This may not be enough unless you consider your keyboard carefully.

I would suggest a standard midi keyboard with built in synth, amplifier and speakers would be a more sensible choice for practising playing an organ than fooling around with HW on a tablet (unless you have nothing better to do).

csw900

Return to DIY organ consoles / MIDI