It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:09 am

Combinations display?

Building organ consoles for use with Hauptwerk, adding MIDI to existing consoles, obtaining parts, ...
  • Author

naujoks

Combinations display?

PostTue Sep 22, 2020 4:09 pm

I'd like to add a Hauptwerk organ to my existing "real" organ.
I don't want a computer screen at the console though, so I'm using a Launchpad for stops.
What can I use to store combinations? It would need to have a small display to show the current combinations number, a forward and back arrow, buttons to select the combinations number, and a button to store a combination.

Is there a device like that?

IainStinson

Re: Combinations display?

PostTue Sep 22, 2020 4:39 pm

You could use part of the Launchpad or another one for the pistons to change stops on the HW section of the organ. You can buy small LCD displays driven by midi and supported by HW to display stepper information details in the user manual (pg 202) . One supplier of these displays is Midi Boutiquehttps://www.midiboutique.com/MIDI-Decoders/hwlcd-mini.

Iain

magnaton

PostWed Sep 23, 2020 12:49 am

Since you already have a Launchpad, you could assign the round buttons on the ends to several of the Favorite Combinations. In the advanced MIDI section, you can assign a MIDI control to load a respective Favorite Combination 01, 02, 03, etc. See page 146 of the HW user's guide (version 5.0.1). If I;m not mistaken, these buttons can stay lit so you know which memory level you are on.

Danny B.

kwbmusic

PostWed Sep 23, 2020 3:37 am

I use a Launchpad for this purpose. I also use a transparency overlay on which the reference number of each combination is recorded. Using the On/Off lights of the Launchpad I easily can see which Combination is loaded.
I also have a Korg nanoKontrol that can provide a similar facility.
Keith

engrssc

PostWed Sep 23, 2020 10:27 am

naujoks wrote:I It would need to have a small display to show the current combinations number, a forward and back arrow, buttons to select the combinations number, and a button to store a combination.

Here is a LCD display::

https://www.midi-hardware.com/index.php?section=prod_info&product=MiDisp&R2=USD

Rgds,
Ed

edgaut

PostSat Nov 28, 2020 6:10 am

I've used an OLED and a 4 line LCD controlled by a few Teensy LCs for this. I can send you the code if you like. Here are some photos:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jEzdiy ... sp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UEq6ke ... sp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/10fLadH ... sp=sharing

To change the combinations themselves, you can add a few buttons using the same Teensy(-ies) for this (that's how I added the stepper pistons above the choir and the generals below the choir)

Thanks,

Ed

naujoks

PostSat Nov 28, 2020 6:33 am

The display / piston buttons are going to be an addition to a Sauer organ from 1895, and I was hoping there would be something that isn't going to look like a DIY job. I'm very happy with the Launchpad for chosing stops.
Is what I'm trying to do really something that no many people are doing? I would have thought that extending an organ with some Hauptwerk stops is something that a lot of people have done before.

magnaton

PostSat Nov 28, 2020 9:36 am

naujoks wrote:Is what I'm trying to do really something that no many people are doing? I would have thought that extending an organ with some Hauptwerk stops is something that a lot of people have done before.

Yes! There are many permutations integrating HW into an existing organ console. You didn't provide any details of what you have. Search the forum and you can find details where an older drawknob console was MIDIfied and SAMs added so that the combination action in HW would fire them. If the console already has MIDI, then you are that much farther ahead. This is sometimes referred to as a "headless" system where HW is simply the sound engine. Console controls all work as designed and the organist is unaware of the sound source. The LCD display as Ed provided can be incorporated to proved textural information you require. You can can build in more than one.

The Launchpad option as I mentioned in an earlier reply is an easy add on. They make a Mini version that is 7" x 7" which can be mounted in a sliding drawer under the keydesk. You only need to pull it out to access seldom used functions or any control not assignable on your console currently. A hide away drawer of lighted buttons keeps your traditional organ console aesthetic in tact.

Danny B.

Return to DIY organ consoles / MIDI