It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:47 am

Expression pedals to MIDI

Building organ consoles for use with Hauptwerk, adding MIDI to existing consoles, obtaining parts, ...
  • Author

Whrrr

Expression pedals to MIDI

PostMon Oct 26, 2020 4:40 am

Hi,

I've had a good look around but can't seem to find any info on exactly how swell pedals are interfaced. I have MIDI Hardware's PDS pedal diode matrix board which has the option of connecting three expression pots too. Is it possible to connect something like the Behringer FCV100 pedal, or do I need some other sort of MIDI convertor?

Thank you/

rayjcar

Re: Expression pedals to MIDI

PostMon Oct 26, 2020 8:12 am

The Midi Hardware encoder is designed to connect directly to potentiometers. It senses the voltage at the potentiometer wiper and converts it to the CC value.

The Behringer expression pedal appears to vary the analog audio level of an input signal, so it won't work at all with the encoder. The M-Audio EX-P is an example of what should work.

Ray

larason2

PostMon Oct 26, 2020 10:21 am

As Ray said, you need an expression pedal that has a linear potentiometer, and produces linear resistances, usually in the 10 K range. There are many available, or you can build your own (there are tips in other posts on this forum). If you buy one with a 1/4 inch connector, it makes sense to buy a 1/4 inch female plug, and solder your wires to that. You can buy the appropriate connectors from Mouser or Digikey.
Last edited by larason2 on Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Whrrr

PostTue Oct 27, 2020 2:08 am

Thank you, this is very helpful. Just what I needed to know.

Return to DIY organ consoles / MIDI