It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:38 pm

MKSC-4A to Hauptwerk

Building organ consoles for use with Hauptwerk, adding MIDI to existing consoles, obtaining parts, ...
  • Author

msmith215

MKSC-4A to Hauptwerk

PostMon Oct 26, 2020 9:58 am

I am attempting to attach my recently purchased MIDIworks Pedalboard Switch Kit w/MKSC-4A (model 13-MPD-SW-KIT2) to an Allen 32-note pedalboard with magnets on the ends of the keys. I'm running Hauptwerk on a Windows 10 computer and have 2 MIDI keyboards successfully attached to it.

So when I plugged in the MKSC-4A to test and attached to the computer with a MIDI-USB cable I have a blinking green light, and the MKSC doesn't seem to be recognized by Hauptwerk. (When I go to the keyboard settings I only see the 2 existing keyboards as options to select for the pedal)

1) Is this a Hauptwerk configuration issue?
2) Is it a Windows issue (like I might need to identify the MIDI channel for the pedalboard)?
3) Do I need to connect the MKSC-4A to a MIDI interface / controller and from there output to the computer?
4) Do I need to configure the pedalboard by pressing the programming push button as described in the User Manual?

Or all of the above?

I'm somewhat of a novice but consider myself technically able enough to follow directions.

Thanks very much for any assistance you can provide. Hopefully a nudge in the right direction and I'll be able to get it set up.

mdyde

Re: MKSC-4A to Hauptwerk

PostMon Oct 26, 2020 10:49 am

Hello msmith215,

I have no experience with either of those Classic MIDI Works products myself, but from a brief look on their website, it appears that the MKSC-4A scanner outputs to 5-pin DIN MIDI. You mention that you'd connected it via a USB-MIDI adapter to the PC.

In order for that to be usable, Windows would need to recognise the USB-MIDI device (which would require a driver to be installed for it, unless it's a 'class-compliant' USB-MIDI device). Also make sure that the device is connected before you launch Hauptwerk, since Hauptwerk queries the list of MIDI devices from Windows when Hauptwerk launches. (It doesn't support 'hot-plugging' devices, so you need to avoid plugging in or unpugging any MIDI, audio, or USB devices whilst Hauptwerk is actually running.)

Hauptwerk's 'General settings | MIDI ports' screen lists all of the MIDI devices that Windows reports as being present; if the USB-MIDI device isn't listed there then Windows isn't recognising the device for some reason (at the point in time that you launched Hauptwerk). You would need the device to show up there, and be ticked in the 'Console MIDI IN' column in order for it to be usable in Hauptwerk.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

msmith215

PostMon Oct 26, 2020 11:16 am

Thanks for the quick reply! That was very helpful

mdyde

PostMon Oct 26, 2020 11:24 am

Thanks. You're very welcome.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

micdev

Site Admin

PostMon Oct 26, 2020 1:25 pm

Hello msmith215,

To add to Martin' reply, don't search for CMKC-4A in 'General settings | MIDI ports' screen, you will see (if properly detected by your computer) your MIDI to USB cable (sometimes with a pretty cryptic name... some times labeled as Generic MIDI device).

Also some MIDI to USB cable requires a driver (look at the manufacturer' website). For example Roland UM-one Mk2 requires such drivers (https://www.roland.com/global/products/um-one_mk2/downloads/.

One last thing, the green flashing light doesn't indicate that you have MIDI connection, it just means that you have power on your interface.

Once you have the MIDI cable recognised by Windows and Hauptwerk, note that some MIDI to USB cables can be confusing to use. Sometimes the connectors are labelled so you connect the OUT (from your interface) to the IN of the cable (normal chaining logic used with MIDI devices), other cables will require that you connect the OUT (from the inteface) to the OUT of the cable (labelled to indicate what should be connected to this connected... not the usually logic of MIDI chaining). So if you can't auto-detect your pedalboard (Hauptwerk installation and user Guide page 45), switch your 2 connectors around.

Hope that helps
Best regards
François

Virtually sharing my enthusiasm and experience with you
Worldwide technical assistance, consultation and ready to play system.

http://www.HauptwerkConsultant.com

AND Hauptwerk Support Manager

Return to DIY organ consoles / MIDI