It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:02 am

Rodgers 330E pedal contact lining up help

Building organ consoles for use with Hauptwerk, adding MIDI to existing consoles, obtaining parts, ...
  • Author

montyjnc

Rodgers 330E pedal contact lining up help

PostSat Nov 21, 2020 4:03 pm

Hello, I’m having issues since I moved with my midified Rodgers console. The pedalboard uses magnetic switches mounted on a sensor board in front of the pedals themselves, but since I moved it seems that the board has become misaligned and I can’t seem to find a way to line the contacts up with the metal on the end of the pedals. Does anyone have recommendations for how to do this? Any tips? I wish the sensor board was just mounted to the pedal board itself to negate this issue...

rayjcar

Re: Rodgers 330E pedal contact lining up help

PostSat Nov 21, 2020 5:08 pm

I have a Rogers 333 Olympic which likely has the same pedalboard arrangement. I think your problem is that the pedalboard is slightly misaligned, and therefore the magnets at one end or the other are not close enough to cause the reed switches to operate.
Try lifting the pedalboard off the retaining pins at each side of the console base by gripping next to the kick board.. Then lift each side up onto the retaining pins, trying to keep the edge of the pedalboard parallel to the kick board. Then lift the back of the pedalboard off the floor a couple of inches in the centre and push in. If you can get a second pair of hands it might be easier.
One other thing to check is that all the magnets are intact. On my pedalboard, the magnets are strips like you find on fridge magnets, and they are held in place by two heavy staples. In my case one of the strips fractured in the middle, thereby reducing the strength of the magnet on one note.
You can also try carefully pulling the reed switch associated with any dead note out slightly from board on which they are mounted. Be very careful as there is very little flex available in the wire coming out of the glass tube..

Ray

larason2

Re: Rodgers 330E pedal contact lining up help

PostSun Nov 22, 2020 10:37 am

I have troubleshooted a Rodgers pedalboard before. There are usually two situations, either some/all notes are dead, or you have ciphers in the pedal notes. To fix the dead notes problem, either the pedalboard isn’t close enough to the reed plate, or the switches are too far from the magnets. Take the pedalboard off, loosen the screws that hold the reed plate, and push the plate up toward the magnets. If just a few notes are dead, you only have to push it up on that side. For ciphers, you will need to push the reed plate down on the side that is ciphering. Tighten the screws in between adjustments so they don’t slide. Try a little at a time until the pedalboard is working as desired.

Return to DIY organ consoles / MIDI