It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:06 pm

Continuo design advice?

Building organ consoles for use with Hauptwerk, adding MIDI to existing consoles, obtaining parts, ...
  • Author

Romanos

Continuo design advice?

PostThu Feb 25, 2021 2:15 pm

Greetings all,
I've just purchased two OSI keyboards (I'm so excited to wire them up!) and I'm hoping to design a continuo-style enclosure for them, similar to what Richard McVeigh has done on his channel. I'm wondering if there is anyone else out there who has accomplished a similar project who might be able to share any pointers or thoughts about what they themselves would do differently the second time around.

engrssc

Re: Continuo design advice?

PostFri Feb 26, 2021 2:25 am

Thinking Richard's design and implementation worked out quite well.

Rgds
Ed

Romanos

PostWed Mar 03, 2021 10:08 am

I'm very seriously now considering picking up a pump organ to use as the case for this project. I'd like to design a custom instrument, however I found a small "cottage" pump organ that doesn't have the giant hutch but essentially is the cabinet from the keyboard down. It has beautiful cabinetry, is modest in size, and would be just about the perfect scale. I was thinking I could remove all the old internal components and it would make for a better presentation than what I could cobble together by hand. Up-cycling, as it were. It would also cost less than the price of some plywood to make something new.

magnaton

PostWed Mar 03, 2021 12:46 pm

Romanos wrote:I'm very seriously now considering picking up a pump organ to use as the case for this project. I'd like to design a custom instrument, however I found a small "cottage" pump organ that doesn't have the giant hutch but essentially is the cabinet from the keyboard down. It has beautiful cabinetry, is modest in size, and would be just about the perfect scale. I was thinking I could remove all the old internal components and it would make for a better presentation than what I could cobble together by hand. Up-cycling, as it were. It would also cost less than the price of some plywood to make something new.

I think that is an excellent idea! In my area, there are plenty of pump organs offered on Craig's List all the time with price ranging from free to $200. I seen the low profile style too. You might end up with some decent wooden keys to add to the authenticity. I have thoughts regarding audio that I haven't got around to posting in your first thread regarding this project.

Return to DIY organ consoles / MIDI