It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:53 am

Stream Deck not found

Building organ consoles for use with Hauptwerk, adding MIDI to existing consoles, obtaining parts, ...
  • Author

hotfingers

Stream Deck not found

PostFri Mar 19, 2021 9:53 am

I've been investigating using Stream Deck with Hauptwerk.

I installed the midi button option and created a new profile – also inserting a few midi button options, setting them to use 'virtual port'. However, whatever I try, I cannot find that port or any reference to Stream Deck in Hauptwerk's midi configuration page.

Maybe someone can tell me what I'm missing?

Advice appreciated.
Roderick Elms

IainStinson

Re: Steam Deck not found

PostFri Mar 19, 2021 10:47 am

I experimented with a small stream deck unit.
As far as I could see it does not support sending or receiving midi. I used it to turn stops on and off by first assigning keyboard (computer keyboard) keys to operate the stops ( in Hauptwerk) and then used the stream deck software to assign the buttons to send the keyboard keys I had assigned to operate stops when the buttons were pressed. The unit did not light the buttons when the stops were operated by anything other than the stream deck buttons and so the illumination could be out of step with reality. There are API libraries if you wanted to write a midi to stream deck application. In my opinion, It was not a viable option for Hauptwerk without doing quite a bit of work.

Iain

engrssc

Re: Steam Deck not found

PostFri Mar 19, 2021 1:26 pm

[quote="IainStinson"]IIt was not a viable option for Hauptwerk without doing quite a bit of work./quote]

and not anything that can be done better with something like a LaunchPad. I, too looked at the 15 button Stream Deck hoping to be able to use the (button) labeling feature. Became obvious this product is focused on a different (from Hauptwerk) application.

Also thinking how nice it would be to be able to use this technology as possible legend (changeable) stop controls AKA Ken Spencer's new console.

Has anyone found any further info on store price per item small displays such as used by Kohl's stores? Here's what I've found so far:

https://www.quora.com/Kohls-How-do-the-digital-price-placards-work-in-Kohl%E2%80%99s

https://streamsentials.com/stream-deck-alternative/

Rgds,
Ed

hotfingers

Re: Stream Deck not found

PostSun Mar 21, 2021 6:08 am

Many thanks for your thoughts on this. I have a Stream Deck which I use for writing and thought it might be useful to take out for concerts when using Hauptwerk (though it's not a big issue.) I was sure that I'd seen reference somewhere to people using it with Hauptwerk but I may well have been mistaken. On location, I tend to use buttons on the keyboard to trigger generals but the Stream Deck would be rather more elegant, especially with its ease of labelling the buttons.

Roderick
Roderick Elms

Romanos

PostSun Mar 21, 2021 2:45 pm

It can be used. Richard Mcveigh has used one in his videos to trigger pistons, I believe.

engrssc

PostSun Mar 21, 2021 2:51 pm

Romanos wrote:It can be used. Richard Mcveigh has used one in his videos to trigger pistons, I believe.

He uses the Stream Deck to switch video sources. I made that suggestion that a while ago.

He has enough regular pistons and has modified the left expression with a large foot operated switch to advance the sequester. He never explained why he didn't use a toe piston to operate the sequencer advance except maybe being bigger, that switch on the expr pedal is easier to reach. BTW, that left expr pedal has been made stationary.

Rgds,
Ed

IainStinson

PostMon Mar 22, 2021 4:12 am

Using the stream deck to trigger a piston would be fine (In HW assign a computer key to operate the piston, then in the stream deck application assign a stream deck button to send this key. You would probably want to do this for controls across all virtual instruments you used.). Where you want the “lamp” to correctly represent the state of a switch, then the stream deck is not really viable for HW.

Iain

Romanos

PostMon Mar 22, 2021 5:24 am

Depends how you program it. There is an option to change the icon of the key so that it changes when something is on or off. You can upload two separate images for both states. So for functions like couplers, this actually COULD work; the only problem is it won’t sync dynamically like a real organ. In other words, you could trigger a coupler from the SD and have the icon change, but if you triggered the coupler from the sequencer the icon wouldn’t update dynamically.

IainStinson

PostWed May 18, 2022 5:33 pm

Update.

I noticed this post on Facebook (Feb 2022) by Jacob Nielsen
“….One of the things I wanted to know: Will my Streamdeck work, since I would miss some tactile feel of the stops and pistons - yes of course! You just need to download the Midi plugin and a handy freeware tool called LoopMidi in order to assign virtual MIDI ports to and from your Streamdeck (Windows10). Everything working with full feedback to Streamdeck buttons - and the tactile feel is just sweet combined with the mechanical stop sounds. I also rendered out some graphics in Blender3D :-) Definitely going for a 2nd Streamdeck!” (https://www.facebook.com/groups/42378139859/permalink/10159738450009860/)

The midi plug_in, written by Trevliga Spel, is described at https://trevligaspel.se/streamdeck/cubase/index.html

I have tried this with my small Stream Deck and it works well.

Iain

Iain

Return to DIY organ consoles / MIDI