It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:37 pm

Fitting PCBs to keyboards

Building organ consoles for use with Hauptwerk, adding MIDI to existing consoles, obtaining parts, ...
  • Author

andrewmorley

Fitting PCBs to keyboards

PostWed Apr 07, 2021 5:12 am

I have just bought two new sets of Fatar type PCBs from Gino Midi to attach to a pair of old Fatar keyboards. The problem is the holes on the PCBs don't match the position of those on the keyboards so I will probably have to drill new holes. My questions are these:
1. What distance should I aim to have the PCB from the base of the keyboard?
2. What are the little plastic connectors called as I don't seem to be able to find them anywhere?
3. The PCBs are of the two contact type. Should my keys only make contact with one of these points or does it matter if it's both? (I'm planning to use one of the scan matrix connectors from MIDI Boutique that specifies it works on either upper or lower contacts)

larason2

Re: Fitting PCBs to keyboards

PostWed Apr 07, 2021 7:23 am

There are multiple different versions of the Fatar keyboards, and my impression is that the PCB’s you bought are not compatible. If there are two contact bubbles per key, then you have a velocity sensitive version of the PCB. Depending on which midi boutique board you get, it may not be able to accept velocity sensitive keying data. Also, your keyboards may not be designed to depress both bubbles on the PCB. Drilling new holes may irreparably damage the PCB. Would it be possible for you to obtain the correct replacement boards?

GrahamH

Re: Fitting PCBs to keyboards

PostWed Apr 07, 2021 8:04 am

Hello Andrew
I suspect larason2 has already given you the best answer.
However, if you decide to proceed anyway:
Drill holes in the base/chassis of the keyboard rather than the PCB!
In answer to question 1: use trial and error to determine what works.
In answer to question 2: Google “pcb standoffs”. However, you might find plastic (nylon) nuts and bolts are more practical than standoffs. Google for those also.
In answer to question 3: Unless you specifically want to have a velocity-sensitive keyboard, use only the “lower” set of contacts to get less chance of unintentionally playing a note when you brush the keys.

I'm surprised you managed to find replacement boards at all, let alone the correct ones!

Good luck
Graham

Return to DIY organ consoles / MIDI