It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:52 am

Seeking Roman Sowa of MIDI-hardware

Building organ consoles for use with Hauptwerk, adding MIDI to existing consoles, obtaining parts, ...
  • Author

GTC

Seeking Roman Sowa of MIDI-hardware

PostThu Apr 29, 2021 6:29 am

I have tried to contact Roman via his business email addresses, but without success. Just wondering if any member has been in contact with him recently?

(I note hat he hasn't visited this forum since 2013).

damuehlbauer

Re: Seeking Roman Sowa of MIDI-hardware

PostThu Apr 29, 2021 1:09 pm

I had a response from him on April 8 regarding an order from March. No response or update on my order since then.
David Muehlbauer
Mesa, Arizona USA

engrssc

PostThu Apr 29, 2021 2:52 pm

Roman is dealing with many Covid related issues (like many of us) including suppliers unable to ship components he has had on order since last year. Last time I talked with him, (shortly ago) he estimated he had something like 100 - 200 or more emails to answer which he is doing. I'm sure he doesn't have time to look at this Forum in light of everything else.

He would need to answer order related questions, but many of his product questions can be answered by some of us who have experience with his products. So post your questions, we'll try to help.

BTW, I received a shipping quote from a prospective supplier who quoted possibly 90 days to ship an order to the USA. Some computer components are all but impossible to find. Scalpers who are charging three or more times the MSRP are saying it's due to crypto mining. :shock: Really? :roll: Oh, my. :o

And some car manufacturers have had to shut down some production lines due to these part shortages. :cry:

Rgds,
Ed

GTC

PostThu Apr 29, 2021 10:29 pm

Thanks for the replies, guys. I see that he's snowed under, to put it mildly.

I had noticed that many of the modules on Roman's website are labeled "Temporarily Unavailable", so I guess given the circumstances that situation is indefinite.

Thanks also for the offer of help.

The reason I'm interested in Roman's modules is that they strike me as being the neatest and most economical solution for my proposed VPO project, which I'll discuss in a dedicated thread.

engrssc

PostThu Apr 29, 2021 10:55 pm

After you have researched what you looking to do (you can ask for assistance here) you can place your order Roman will, ship just as soon as they are available many times ahead of updating the website. He has invested heavily in automation both in assembly and testing.

For instance, I just placed an order this afternoon and received an acknowledgement shortly after. A point I have found is that many of his products have built-in features beyond what could be considered as normal and expected. Not that this is so unique, but accessing and editing these are quite easy to accomplish thru built-in codes.

Plus he is working on some new products and features.

Rgds,
Ed

GTC

PostFri Apr 30, 2021 6:44 am

engrssc wrote:After you have researched what you looking to do (you can ask for assistance here) you can place your order Roman will, ship just as soon as they are available many times ahead of updating the website. He has invested heavily in automation both in assembly and testing.

Interesting and encouraging to know. If I decide to use his technology then I need to obtain it as swiftly as possible. This practice organ needs to be out of my workshop and into my goddaughter's home asap so that she can do the necessary practice exercises that her teacher assigns her each week. Using her piano for practice only goes so far. She really needs the two manuals plus the organ's sustain.

engrssc

PostFri Apr 30, 2021 7:41 am

Please understand, I'm not involved with Roman in way except as a customer and can only offer some background information based on experience I've made with his products in that way. OTOH, most of us have used components from various venders for a variety of reasons based on requirements as well as budget. Not to dissuade you, but time sensitive commitments need to be addressed differently than more casual conversions. For instance. if a used instrument has a working MIDI system, adapting to Hauptwerk software can be done relatively quickly.

You can Google any number websites including YouTube videos demonstrating various ways Hauptwerk has been implemented which you probably already have done. Some of the simplest to more complex involving time, hufget and various degrees of ability.

As a starter in order to address specific questions, more information on what you have to work with is necessary. If any Forum members have first hand knowledge and experience with this model, they will quite often jump in.

Rgds,
Ed

GTC

PostFri Apr 30, 2021 8:08 am

engrssc wrote:Please understand, I'm not involved with Roman in way except as a customer and can only offer some background information based on experience I've made with his products in that way. OTOH, most of us have used components from various venders for a variety of reasons based on requirements as well as budget. Not to dissuade you, but time sensitive commitments need to be addressed differently than more casual conversions. For instance. if a used instrument has a working MIDI system, adapting to Hauptwerk software can be done relatively quickly.

Yes, I understand all of that.

You can Google any number websites including YouTube videos demonstrating various ways Hauptwerk has been implemented which you probably already have done. Some of the simplest to more complex involving time, hufget and various degrees of ability.

Yes, have spent considerable time doing all of that.

As a starter in order to address specific questions, more information on what you have to work with is necessary. If any Forum members have first hand knowledge and experience with this model, they will quite often jump in.

Great. See my other thread. viewtopic.php?f=15&t=19721

engrssc

PostFri Apr 30, 2021 8:56 am

If the MIDI output is functional, a simple interface such as:

https://www.amazon.com/Roland-UM-ONE-MK2-MIDI-Cable/dp/B00967UN50/ref=asc_df_B00967UN50/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312154365034&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=6168195782337541653&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9018871&hvtargid=pla-404766665199&psc=1

can be used to connect to a computer. Many organs output simple keyboard MIDI note on/note off messages while such functions as stop control, expression pedal, etc use proprietary SysEx (System Exclusive) commands.

Rgds,
Ed

engrssc

PostFri Apr 30, 2021 9:17 am

If you suspect there might be MIDI output, you can verify what is being sent using the above interface connected to a PC along with MidiOx:

http://www.midiox.com

Rgds,
Ef

GTC

PostFri Apr 30, 2021 9:40 am

I'm fine with the standard MIDI in/out/thru setup. I know how to connect that to a computer running Hauptwerk.

However, if the SL-250's CPU can't be made to operate, then it's academic as there will be no MIDI signals to use and I'll be removing the Ahlborn electronics and kitting the shell out as a VPO.

If I do that, then I need to decide whose MIDI modules I will use. As I've said elsewhere, that decision will be greatly based on my having to do the minimum work connecting it all together.

engrssc

PostFri Apr 30, 2021 9:56 am

OTOH, inop doesn't always mean everything is - inop. Considering your asap (requirement) Since Amazon offers free 30 day return, that along with the free trial version, of HW could be expedient time wise and useful. As far as the schema you mentioned, it is very doable but not necessarily fast. Presently I have begun using that plan with some variations on my latest rebuild.

Rgds,
Ed

engrssc

GTC

PostSat May 01, 2021 7:43 am

engrssc wrote:OTOH, inop doesn't always mean everything is - inop.

True, but a dead CPU board is likely terminal for everything else, too -- apart from the audio amp stage. I won't know the situation until May 15 when the organ is delivered.

As far as the schema you mentioned, it is very doable but not necessarily fast. Presently I have begun using that plan with some variations on my latest rebuild.

Have you posted details of that build? (I haven't spent a lot of time trawling this forum yet.)

engrssc

Next

Return to DIY organ consoles / MIDI