It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:31 am

Extra Expression Pedals

Building organ consoles for use with Hauptwerk, adding MIDI to existing consoles, obtaining parts, ...
  • Author

SKresge

Extra Expression Pedals

PostFri May 14, 2021 9:22 am

Not very knowledgeable regarding midi, but was told that I could add a 4th and 5th expression pedal to my set up by attaching them the AN1 and AN2 portion of a Classic MidiWorks Keyboard circuit board underneath. I have Classic MidiWork pedal board with 3 expression pedals wired together and would like to add two more.

When I plug them into the three prongs of the AN1 and AN2, they are recognized by HW and I set them up via auto detect by right clicking. After they are recognized (by opening and closing them completely) and I click DONE button, they start moving all over the place randomly and non stop between completely open and close in the HW Software and I have no control over it and it messes up the manual notes when playing.

Am I doing something wrong? Does the manual not support the two like I was told? Any inputs would be greatly appreciated.

Scott

rayjcar

Re: Extra Expression Pedals

PostFri May 14, 2021 1:24 pm

Right-click on the expression pedal that you have added, and select "adjust midi/trigger settings manually." The window that opens should show the controller as 11 (hex 08 expression). At the bottom of the window is displayed the midi pedal range. The minimum and maximum positions should be somewhere between 0 and 127 respectively. It doesn't matter that the numbers are not at either end of the range. For example, my minimum on one expression pedal is 21 and the maximum is 81. Hauptwerk takes that range into account and scales it appropriately.

If the message is not a control change, you may have to adjust the configuration of the CMK keyboard for that particular input. You can download a manual here: https://www.organworks.com/support/CMK- ... %201.5.pdf

Also, make note of which midi channel is being used for each expression pedal, and ensure that that channel isn't the same as is being used by another expression pedal.

If you are using a Windows computer, you can monitor the data stream using Midi-Ox, which is free to download. If you have a Mac, you can use Midi Monitor. As you move the expression pedal, you should see the CC values change within the range detected by Hauptwerk. If you are having sporadic data, or multiple streams on the same channel, that should become evident as well.

Ray

SKresge

Re: Extra Expression Pedals

PostFri May 14, 2021 6:46 pm

rayjcar wrote:If the message is not a control change, you may have to adjust the configuration of the CMK keyboard for that particular input. You can download a manual here: https://www.organworks.com/support/CMK- ... %201.5.pdf

Thanks Ray, you have given me a lot to think about and look into.

I am running a Mac with OS Catalina, and from previous post I thought people said that CMK Keyboard didn't work with that or newer operating systems, I have to go back and check.

But thanks again, will let you know how it works out.

Scott

Return to DIY organ consoles / MIDI