It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:51 am

MIDI Boutique Hall Sensors for Pedal Board

Building organ consoles for use with Hauptwerk, adding MIDI to existing consoles, obtaining parts, ...
  • Author

JRP

MIDI Boutique Hall Sensors for Pedal Board

PostWed Jul 07, 2021 4:10 am

Hi - I am looking at the MIDI Boutique Hall Sensors kit (csh32p contact system for pedalboard). This would connect to a MIDI Boutique mpc32mq MIDI Encoder which is then connected to a HWCE2x board.

The pedalboard is Kimber Allen and has been converted to reed switches. Thinking of replacing the reed switches with Hall Sensors to reduce future maintenance etc of reeds.

Just wondering if anyone has done this and if they found it has worked out okay?

Thanks

John

andrewmorley

Re: MIDI Boutique Hall Sensors for Pedal Board

PostWed Jul 07, 2021 4:29 am

Hi John
I have just converted a pedal board with these. You’ll see a long thread a couple below your post with the problems I faced but that is because I tried to do things on the cheap and used the hall sensors via MidiBoutiques Keymux64 and then into an arduino mega which is where I have encountered problems. I would suggest if you are using all Midi Boutique products you should be fine.
Essentially the sensors work really well although I need to do a bit of repositioning to make sure the magnets trigger the sensors at the right point but that is down to my not great woodworking skills rather than anything to do with the sensors.

engrssc

PostWed Jul 07, 2021 4:30 am

I have found little if any maintenance needed for properly installed reed switches for pedal board. Commercially Rodgers uses and has used reed switches on their pedal board for a long time. Certainly less expensive.

I have a Rodgers 340 Theatre organ that uses reed switches for the pedal board. No issues at all for over 30 years.

Rgds,
Ed

NickNelson

PostWed Jul 07, 2021 7:02 am

I'm with Ed on this one.

For a permanent installation reed switches are likely to be reliable and very long lived once set up properly. Mine have been in operation and needed no further adjustment for about 10 years.

On the other hand, if the pedalboard is to be moved around from time to time the possibility of breakage, or some lesser kind of derangement, might be greater.

If you have the money, time and inclination to try this then of course you can go ahead, but I'd be surprised if you found it a significant improvement.

Nick

engrssc

PostWed Jul 07, 2021 8:55 am

JRP wrote:I am looking at the MIDI Boutique Hall Sensors kit (csh32p contact system for pedalboard).

Hi John,

You are doing the right thing in asking and doing some prior research. There is a wide range of knowledge available here.

Regarding reed switches vs Hall Effects sensors, starting from scratch, (an unmodified p/b) installation time for each system is probably similar. Cost wise there is a difference. In the end, my choice would still tend toward reed switches. Esp since your p/b already has the reed switches. You'd have to determine how well your setup appears to be installed and how well it functions. I never try to talk someone out of their "plan" who is determined and has their mind made up. As someone told me, it's their time (and their money). :wink:

I usually advise adding a connector between the pedal board and the console. By adding a couple circuits, this connection can be done with 4 wires.

Rgds,
Ed

Coenraads

PostWed Jul 07, 2021 11:31 am

No question! If you are at all handy, go with reed switches. I've done about eight such pedal boards and have had no problems. Either a 6x6 diode isolated matrix, or parallel wired, straight into an Arduino and you are done. If you want it bomb proof, go with the "moving shutter" approach. For output use a MIDI shield or two 220 ohm resistors.

https://sites.google.com/site/casavanto ... eed-switch

On the same website, you will find Arduino code for both matrix and parallel wired scanners.
John

JRP

PostWed Jul 07, 2021 2:45 pm

Hi everybody - thanks for your comments - will consider all the advice.

Cheers

John

Return to DIY organ consoles / MIDI