It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:06 pm

Running Status

Building organ consoles for use with Hauptwerk, adding MIDI to existing consoles, obtaining parts, ...
  • Author

Coenraads

Running Status

PostMon Aug 16, 2021 4:15 pm

Clearly, HW accepts MIDI data with Running Status.
But do I have to handle Running Status when writing Arduino code for a lighted stop-action decoder?
I.e., does HW ever transmit MIDI data using Running Status?

I have written code to handle Running Status and it works just fine, but I'd like to use the simpler code if it isn't necessary.
BTW, I have a couple of MIDI monitors but they seem to hide whether Running Status is being used or not.
John

IainStinson

Re: Running Status

PostMon Aug 16, 2021 5:09 pm

I don’t think HW ever uses midi running status for midi it generates, though it does support it as midi input.
Iain

mdyde

PostTue Aug 17, 2021 3:38 am

Hello John,

Hauptwerk itself never explicitly sends any MIDI messages using MIDI running status, and doesn't have dedicated support (within the Hauptwerk code itself) for running status.

However, on Windows, any MIDI running status support would be implemented within the Windows' MIDI APIs and/or the driver anyway (not within an application, such as Hauptwerk, due to the high-level nature of the Windows MIDI API). I've never heard of a MIDI driver on Windows that doesn't support receiving MIDI running status (and the Windows MIDI API may well handle it anyway, rather than the driver), or that sends running status, but it's conceivable that one might exist (although very unlikely, I think).

Likewise, I've never heard of a MIDI interface/driver on a Mac that sends MIDI running status, or that can't handle receiving it. (macOS' MIDI API is a bit lower-level than Windows' one, so if it is that case that any MIDI driver exists that doesn't support it I think it would be more likely that it would be on macOS, but again I think it's unlikely, especially since lots of MIDI hardware since the 1980s uses running status.)

Summary: any support for MIDI running status would be within the OS or MIDI driver, not the application, but I think you should be fine in assuming support for it.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

NickNelson

PostTue Aug 17, 2021 5:30 am

My view is that if properly implemented, running status never does any harm and can sometimes provide significant performance improvements. For this reason all of my work with microcontrollers has used it.

That said, the advantages are best (and may only be significant) in devices that generate, or merge and pass on, potentially large volumes of MIDI traffic on the same channel. For keyboard encoders I would regard it as highly desirable.

Both the MIDI monitors I use (Bome's SendSX and MIDI-Ox) reinstate running status before displaying the data.

Nick

Coenraads

PostTue Aug 17, 2021 9:15 pm

That's all I needed to know.
Thanks for the help,
John

mdyde

PostWed Aug 18, 2021 3:19 am

Thanks, John. Excellent.
Best regards, Martin.

Coenraads

PostWed Aug 25, 2021 11:01 am

One more question.
I'm writing this lighted stop action decoder at a distance so I don't have a HW system to check this myself.
For a MIDI OFF message, does HW use status 0x90 and zero velocity or does it use status 0x80?
I'm trying to simplify the code as much as possible.
John

mdyde

PostWed Aug 25, 2021 11:03 am

It sends a note-off status message (not note-on with velocity zero).
Best regards, Martin.

Coenraads

PostWed Aug 25, 2021 11:20 am

Wow, that was quick! Thank you Martin.
I'll be sure to check the status byte.
John

Return to DIY organ consoles / MIDI