It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:29 am

Crescendo indicator

Building organ consoles for use with Hauptwerk, adding MIDI to existing consoles, obtaining parts, ...
  • Author

engrssc

Crescendo indicator

PostMon Sep 13, 2021 8:30 am

I know this was discussed a while ago. Has there been any change in thinking as to how this can be implemented within Hauptwerk and made available on the console via a external "display"? That is external display not via a LCD because there is no room for a LCD.

Rgdd,
Ed

mdyde

Re: Crescendo indicator

PostMon Sep 13, 2021 9:15 am

Hello Ed,

Within Hauptwerk the options are unchanged, i.e.:

- For any virtual continuous control that an organ includes natively which allows MIDI input/output (e.g. expression/crescendo pedal or crescendo indicator) you could configure MIDI output (e.g. configure it to send MIDI control change messages).

- Likewise for Hauptwerk's master crescendo.

- You can also send their states (as values in the range 0-127, or as percentages) via Hauptwerk's LCD panel system MIDI output, by selecting the appropriate line format and virtual controls.

- In the case of Hauptwerk's master crescendo (but not for organs' native crescendos), its state is also sent via Hauptwerk's MIDI console status output system (if enabled), via the CurrMasterCrescNum and CuedMasterCrescStage variables.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

engrssc

PostMon Sep 13, 2021 9:40 am

Thanks. will need to revisit that.

Rgds,
Ed

ns_organist

PostFri Oct 01, 2021 1:48 pm

Hello Ed,

Not sure if this will help. I'm using Touch OSC (Midi interface controlled on an iPad with customized controls I configured) for my stop jambs and most HW functions. I'm using a 'slider' to show the position of my crescendo pedal. It took a few attempts to get the slider and labels (little dashes showing each step) lined up, but I was able to draw 32 sections in the slider, which correspond to the 32 steps in HW. The slider is the width of my iPad (in portrait mode), and about 1/4 inch tall.

I used to play an old Casavant which had a circular crescendo display, which showed the first step around the 7:00 (if it was a clock) position, and progressed clockwise to show full organ around the 5:00 position. I was trying to create a virtual version of this, but I didn't have the screen space for a circular control on my iPad, so I opted for a rectangular slider which doesn't take up too much room.

The Casavant I used to play also had a red light that showed if the crescendo was on (regardless of what stage) or off. I was able to map the same midi channel/event to a virtual (red) button as I did for the crescendo slider. Now, when the slider is at any stage other than 0, the virtual light glows red. I have the light on both my left and right touch screen, while the crescendo slider is only on the bottom of my right-hand jamb.

I am using LCD displays (from Midi Boutique) for displaying of other controls that Touch OSC can't handle (Reg Stepper, selecting favorite organs/combinations, etc) , but I like the visual component of both the virtual slider, and the red lamp. Neither of the virtual controls are setup to receive input - meaning I can't engage/change the crescendo with the touch screen - the virtual controls only show the state of the crescendo as determined by the position of the physical expression shoe.

This may be considered a 'work around' by some, but it works, meets my needs, and replicates (virtually) what I was used to seeing on the Casavant.

Kevin

rayjcar

PostFri Oct 01, 2021 3:14 pm

If you want to operate crescendo lamps, Robot Electronics in the UK makes a midi-controlled 8 channel relay module at a very reasonable price. I helped one of the forum members configure one successfully to operate swell shade motors. The software allows you to specify a CC value which, if exceeded, will cause a relay to close and remain closed until the CC value falls below the specified value. This would work perfectly for up to 8 indicator lamps.

Ray

Return to DIY organ consoles / MIDI