It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:42 am

Expression pedal spacing

Building organ consoles for use with Hauptwerk, adding MIDI to existing consoles, obtaining parts, ...
  • Author

Spharticus

Expression pedal spacing

PostSat Sep 03, 2022 7:58 pm

Hello all - I'm adding 3 expression pedals to my home console. The pedalboard is the Midiworks AGO. I've got everything down except... I can't find anything on how far apart the pedals should be. I see position over the sharps, Swell between E-F, cresc higher than the others... but not how far apart they should be. I didn't see this in the AGO spec, but I can't imagine that it's not a listed specification.

Thanks-

larason2

Re: Expression pedal spacing

PostSat Sep 03, 2022 9:20 pm

I don't think there is an established convention, but if it helps, the pedals on my Allen are ~2.7 cm apart.

GrahamH

Re: Expression pedal spacing

PostSun Sep 04, 2022 6:25 am

It's not specified in the British recommended standard either (which I personally think leads to a more comfortable console than the AGO spec).
https://www.organworks.co.uk/brit_console_dimensions.pdf

I guess the reason it's not specified anywhere is because it depends on the width of your particular pedals.
You need them to be far enough apart that you can operate one pedal on its own when required, but close enough together that you can operate two pedals simultaneously with one foot when required.
In the case of my console, the gap between the swell pedals is about 1 cm.

Graham

Return to DIY organ consoles / MIDI