It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:50 am

Midi note read issues

Building organ consoles for use with Hauptwerk, adding MIDI to existing consoles, obtaining parts, ...
  • Author

JonathanL64

Midi note read issues

PostFri Oct 28, 2022 4:13 pm

Good evening all!

I have now connected up the console for my HW and am having some issues with the key contacts. Great and Choir are fine but I've got about 12 random notes on the Swell that aren't being recognised. Doing a continuity test the key contacts are making just fine on all 61 notes, but the 12 are not being recognised at all by either the midi or Hauptwerk.

Any thoughts as to the problem?

Thanks, Jonathan

larason2

Re: Midi note read issues

PostFri Oct 28, 2022 7:00 pm

It would be helpful to know what midi encoder you're using, how it's connected to your computer, whether you're getting midi messages on midi ox, etc. and what kind of keyboards/computer you have. If your keyboards are matrixed, and you have 12 keys in a row that went out, it points to the column being down, maybe a broken wire?

JonathanL64

PostSat Oct 29, 2022 3:06 am

Keyboards are traditional pipe organ keyboards with Kimber Allen key contact.

I am using Midi Boutique, the inputs go into their KeyMux64 mutiplexor into a HWce encoder.

The midi-usb connection is by HiFing.

The off notes are random, not in the sense of changing but, just spread throughout the compass, ie f6, a10, c#14 etc

I'm not sure how I would identify how I am getting midi messages.

Thanks.

Jonathan

larason2

PostSat Oct 29, 2022 8:01 am

Thanks, that's helpful. It's possible you have a defective or damaged Keymux board, which could have happened, for instance with static electricity. The behaviour you're getting suggests a damaged multiplexer chip.

But first I would install a midi monitoring app on your computer. For PC Midi Ox is a good one, on mac I use Midi monitor, also free. Install them and test the keyboard. If you're not getting midi messages for those dead notes, it points to the hardware. If you're getting weird or corrupted messages, it points to what you're using to connect the hardware to the computer.

JonathanL64

PostSat Oct 29, 2022 11:51 am

Thank you, I will try that, 'Im still somewhat of a novice with Midi!

Some where solved this morning and were due to crimping issues with the ribbon connectors. Two notes are still off on the Swell, one being a34, which is quite crucial.

More work ahead, I'm sure!

Jonathan

larason2

PostSat Oct 29, 2022 5:27 pm

Ah, could definitely be the connection if you crimped them yourself. I'm guessing you're using IDC connectors? There's a definite skill to crimping, it doesn't always come off perfectly, even if you are using a dedicated tool! The good news is, it's pretty easy to test and fix. Pull out the header, and test all the pins with a multimeter set on ohms. If any of them aren't any good, or you're getting a pin going out to more than one other pin, cut off the offending connector and re-crimp with a new one. That's why I always buy more connectors than I need. Once they are good, they are usually really reliable, but you have to be very careful they are aligned correctly before crimping.

Also, check your cable. I once accidentally put a screw through a ribbon cable. I couldn't figure out why a button press was triggering other buttons!

Return to DIY organ consoles / MIDI