It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:44 am

Help upgrading Rodgers console

Building organ consoles for use with Hauptwerk, adding MIDI to existing consoles, obtaining parts, ...
  • Author

gitlance

Help upgrading Rodgers console

PostSat Jan 21, 2023 8:47 pm

Hello all.

I have an old 3-manual Rodgers console from the 60s. It has been retrofit for MIDI, so I am presently using it as a Hauptwerk console. However, I am interested in replacing these original manuals with new ones. Unfortunately, I have no idea where to begin in terms of what sorts of parts I would need in order to fit new ones into this space. Could anybody give me some advice or suggestions? Thank you!

magnaton

Re: Help upgrading Rodgers console

PostSat Jan 21, 2023 11:11 pm

I've swapped in new Fatar TP/60 keyboards on older AB Galanti consoles. Not sure how close a fit they would be for this Rodgers, but that would be a start.

larason2

PostSun Jan 22, 2023 12:47 pm

What's wrong with the old ones? Rodgers used quality parts back when this was made. You'll probably find that refelting and/or replacing the springs if there are any will restore the touch. If the contacts are intermittent, it will be easier to replace the sensing system with a 12 v one than to replace the keyboards.

ldeutsch

PostMon Jan 23, 2023 1:53 am

You console looks like a Rodgers 32-B. This model was my first AGO organ when I was learning to play back in the late 60s and 70s. It was new in 1967 - older than you think!

The keyboards are very high quality and you should not have to replace them unless something is actually broken. You should see if there are any adjustments you can make. If not, perhaps the springs should be replaced. You local Rodgers dealer will have a technician who can do this if you don't want to do it yourself. The contacts solid, as I recall. You might have to lightly rub some emory paper against the common bus wires if you have some contact issues - this will clean them up nicely.

Les

rayjcar

PostMon Jan 23, 2023 9:42 am

I wholeheartedly agree that you should make every effort to preserve the existing keyboards. They have a wood core, and that contributes greatly to the heft and the touch. There are also specific contact cleaners which might help, but get the right one that is compatible with the silver (I believe) contacts of the Rodgers. As already mentioned, the springs can be replaced, and each key can be adjusted individually.
In the worst case, you could retrofit Hall effect or magnetic reed switches.

Ray

jkinkennon

PostMon Jan 23, 2023 1:42 pm

larason2 wrote:If the contacts are intermittent, it will be easier to replace the sensing system with a 12 v one than to replace the keyboards.

I totally agree with using 12v keying. The phosphor-bronze busbar and whisker contacts seldom work reliably on 5v or less. I've done a few Rodgers consoles of this vintage and have swapped out 5v input boards more than once. Do it right the first time for years of trouble free operation.

gitlance

PostTue Jan 24, 2023 11:17 am

larason2 wrote: If the contacts are intermittent, it will be easier to replace the sensing system with a 12 v one than to replace the keyboards.

Please forgive my inexperience, but might you be able to direct me to a source for a 12v sensing system that would be compatible with this console?

rayjcar

PostWed Jan 25, 2023 6:34 am

I have used the DTS MIPC-1A-HV. For a +12 volt common, which is what Rodgers used, you need the HV version.
http://www.dtsmidisystems.com/midiencoders.html

But before you go that route, what is the make and model number of your existing encoders? They may be able to accept a 12 volt input.

Ray

gitlance

PostWed Jan 25, 2023 11:10 am

rayjcar wrote:I have used the DTS MIPC-1A-HV. For a +12 volt common, which is what Rodgers used, you need the HV version.
http://www.dtsmidisystems.com/midiencoders.html

But before you go that route, what is the make and model number of your existing encoders? They may be able to accept a 12 volt input.

Ray

Ray,

We used the Artisan Organs 3-manual conversion kit. http://artisanorgans.intartists.com/Art ... ducts.html

You will have to excuse my ignorance about these inner workings of Midi interfacing. I am trying to learn, but having a hard time finding much concrete information for a beginner like myself.

There are definitely some intermittent contacts between the keys and the contact rail. I have thoroughly cleaned the rail and the contacts, but that has not entirely solved the problem.

rayjcar

PostFri Jan 27, 2023 12:18 pm

If your installation uses the HV-64P, those boards will accept +3 to +30 volts as the keying voltage. It isn't entirely clear from the documentation exactly where you would connect +12 volts and ground to the card. The instructions state "In cases where the Common of the Stop Sense switches and the Common of the Pistons is already connected to a Positive voltage, all that has to be done is to change the jumper on the Input Board to accept a Positive
Common".

How did you clean the rail and the contacts? You might want to try Caig Labs GN5S-2N Deoxit Gold G5 Contact Cleaner and Deoxidizer, a brush-on cleaner available on Amazon.

Ray

Return to DIY organ consoles / MIDI