It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:14 am

Interfacing digital carillon USB vs MIDI

Building organ consoles for use with Hauptwerk, adding MIDI to existing consoles, obtaining parts, ...
  • Author

vrnback

Interfacing digital carillon USB vs MIDI

PostThu Feb 23, 2023 3:57 pm

We have a digital carillon that has both USB and MIDI connectors to the controller.

Using the MIDI hub in our DIY console (converted analog Rodgers console) created communication conflicts with Hauptwerk (MIDI cable connecting the hub to the carillon controller). The MIDI hub is connected to a USB2 in the Hauptwerk computer.

There are additional USB ports on the Hauptwerk computer. And USB output on the carillon controller.

Native Instruments, Kontakt, is installed and running orchestral sounds through the same USB connection to the console and is set up as virtual stops, where I've assigned MIDI virtual switches (touch screen) to specific sounds from the Kontakt library.

I've noted in configuring the audio interface on another organ, that there are multiple USB possibilities. That got me thinking whether or not USB could be used rather then the MIDI hub in the console.

Is this a possibility? I think that the comm path would be, one a virtual switch activates the carillon:
Note played => 1st USB to Hauptwerk => 2nd USB to carillon => carillon played => 2nd USB to Hauptwerk => 3rd USB to MOTU mixer.

Please advise.

larason2

Re: Interfacing digital carillon USB vs MIDI

PostThu Feb 23, 2023 5:53 pm

I could be wrong, but the Carillon is probaby set so that it receives note on messages on the same channel as one of the manuals, or the stop controls. Can you change the midi channel assignment on either the Hauptwerk console or the Carillon? Hauptwerk can recognize midi messages on any channel, so it shouldn't be a problem on that end. You may have to reconfigure all your sample sets though, if the carillon is receiving midi messages in the same channel as the stop controls.

Whether you use the USB or the 5 pin DIN/Midi cable probably doesn't make a difference. Midi information can be sent by USB as well. The order in which they are connected probably also doesn't make a difference, all the same messages will still eventually make it to your computer.

There are some other possible scenarios I'm not covering related to corruption of midi messages, so it would be helpful to know what exact messages and on what channel your carillon is sending/receiving, and what your Hauptwerk controller is sending. You can read these using an app like midi ox on PC or Midi Monitor on the mac. Also, a description of what errors exactly you are getting would be helpful. Further, what hardware are you using to connect the Midi to the computer?

IainStinson

PostThu Feb 23, 2023 8:25 pm

Have you looked at the Hauptwerk manual on pages 196 and following?
I think you can connect the carillon via midi out from HW ( to midi in on the carillon) , configure a stop in HW as suggested on pg 196 (output tab)), so that notes played on the HW console, on the chosen stop, send midi note on and off commands via the configured midi path to the carillon. Don’t connect midi out from the carillon to HW. The audio out from the carillon needs its own pathway to the sound system (HW does not have audio in facilities).

Iain

vrnback

PostFri Nov 10, 2023 3:41 pm

Hello Lain - I've purchased a MIDI to USB converter cable. There's no MIDI connector on the PC running Hauptwerk.

How will Hauptwerk / PC know what USB port is connected to the carillon MIDI IN? Do I need to identify the USB channel?

On p. 196, I assume that I can locate an open stop or rocker tab (or even piston) to assign the carillon voice, correct?

The carillon has it's own mixing channel through our PA system, so no worries there.

Thanks!

mdyde

PostSat Nov 11, 2023 5:15 am

Hello vrnback,

First you would need to make sure that your USB-MIDI adapter's MIDI OUT port is enabled (ticked) on the "General settings | MIDI ports | MIDI OUT ports" screen tab. Then:

Page 196 in the Hauptwerk v7.0 user guide (p.204 in the v8.0 version) covers direct MIDI output from virtual ranks of pipes. For that you would need to choose a virtual rank within the Hauptwerk sample set whose sound (within the Hauptwerk sample set) you don't plan to use, i.e. a virtual rank whose internal sounds you can 'sacrifice', and use it to control your external MIDI rank (carillon) instead.

Use "Organ | Load organ, adjusting rank audio memory options" to set that rank not to load, so that its internal pipe sounds won't be heard.

Next, on the on the "Organ settings | Advanced MIDI ... | Direct MIDI input/output for ranks/pipes" screen you would highlight the relevant virtual rank in the left-hand list, then on the 'Output' tab select your USB-MIDI adapter's MIDI OUT port for it, and select the relevant channel. Thereafter whenever that virtual rank's stop is drawn within Hauptwerk, Hauptwerk would send per-key MIDI output to that USB-MIDI port and channel, thus causing your MIDI carillon to play.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Return to DIY organ consoles / MIDI