It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:31 am

Pedalboard connection

Building organ consoles for use with Hauptwerk, adding MIDI to existing consoles, obtaining parts, ...
  • Author

Tompion

Pedalboard connection

PostMon May 22, 2023 6:50 pm

I’ve recently purchased a set of three keyboards that will be daisy chained with midi cables and then conneded with a USB cable to my computer. I’m considering a pedal board purchase from a different vendor (PedaMidiKit). The pedal board comes with a MIDI out and a USB out, but no MIDI in. As a result, I believe it can't be daisy chained via MIDI cables with the keyboard manuals. (But I may be wrong!)

My question: would it work to send both the USB cable from the keyboard stack and the USB cable from the pedalboard to a (powered) USB hub; and then run a USB cable from the hub to the computer?
Bruce

larason2

Re: Pedalboard connection

PostMon May 22, 2023 8:05 pm

If your keyboards have a midi in, and it acts as a midi thru, then you can just connect the pedalboard to the last manual in the chain. If that doesn't work, yes, you can connect the pedalboard to a USB Midi interface, and that to a USB hub. Just make sure you get a good quality hub that has its own power supply. Bus powered ones are notoriously unreliable with high intensity applications like audio or midi traffic. Also get a good quality midi interface if possible. Make sure the pedaboard is also transmitting on a different channel than the three keyboards as well, or you'll get interference.

Tompion

PostThu May 25, 2023 6:40 pm

larason2, Thank you for your comments. I now have a powered USB hub.

Although a bit off topic, I’ve been wondering whether it’s a good idea to feed the midi signals to the computer via a hub and also have the audio output from the computer to my audio interface (Focusrite Scarlett) run through the same hub (but in the opposite direction). I have non-technical visions of the midi signals to the computer and the audio signals from the computer fighting with each other since they’d be running in opposite directions through the same USB cable between the hub and the computer.
Bruce

mnailor

PostThu May 25, 2023 6:56 pm

The USB from the computer to the audio interface carries higher traffic than the MIDI USB. It's better to use a USB port on the computer for audio if possible, rather than a hub. But it will probably work okay on a powered hub if a native port isn't an option.

larason2

PostThu May 25, 2023 10:44 pm

Yes, audio through the hub will work, but it will shorten its life. I used to do this, but my hub only lasted 3 years.

Tompion

PostFri May 26, 2023 2:48 pm

Thank you both for your comments. It sounds like running a separate USB line for the audio is probably the better way to go.
Bruce

Return to DIY organ consoles / MIDI