It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:41 pm

Now an Electronics problem

Building organ consoles for use with Hauptwerk, adding MIDI to existing consoles, obtaining parts, ...
  • Author

flydeltajets

Now an Electronics problem

PostSun Nov 01, 2009 2:10 pm

Hello all,

I soldered all the connections for the MIDI boards last week, and I ran into a few problems after everything was connected. I'm using the Artisan uMidi boards, and on Friday the organ was working except that all the couplers were on, and couplers that don't exist were also "running". Each manual was exactly the same registration-wise (Gt-Sw, Sw-Gt, Gt-Pd, Pd-Sw, Pd-Gt).

I e-mailed Artisan for support on that issue, as I think it has something to do with the programming.

A new problem started today--I plugged in the organ, and I'm getting no sound and no combination action. I tried programming new combinations, but every single piston acts as a general cancel. Additionally, the transposer display doesn't show anything--I think that is why I'm not getting notes, as typically it displays "0" when the organ is running.

In my attempt to find out what is wrong, I took off the piston rails and rechecked all the wiring...I can't find anything that is disconnected or shorted. Finally, I unplugged the Artisan boards, but there was no change.

Any advice?

Thanks!

B. Milan

Site Admin

Re: Now an Electronics problem

PostSun Nov 01, 2009 3:30 pm

Hello,

Do you mean the hardware combination system is not working or the Hauptwerk combination system? You can always test everything in Hauptwerk by using a mouse to set pistons then click on them to make sure they have presets captured. If the virtual pistons are working properly when using a mouse but not with your hardware then it would point to either you having incorrect settings in the switch MIDI inputs menu, or incorrect wiring of the hardware itself.

Make sure that you know what type of MIDI messages your hardware is sending by either consulting the documentation for your hardware, or using MIDI OX or even Hauptwerk built in MIDI logging function to monitor the incoming MIDI data, then have a look at the tutorials page for setting up switches at http://www.hauptwerk.com/tutorials.

The transposer being set at 0 just means that notes are not transposed, so that is normal and is the default setting. The transposer doesn't relate to getting sound output, it just affects the pitch of the sound by adjusting the MIDI note number inputs to play however many steps up or down you have the transposer set to.
Brett Milan
Owner
MILAN DIGITAL AUDIO

flydeltajets

Re: Now an Electronics problem

PostSun Nov 01, 2009 4:16 pm

Hi Brett,

Thanks for your response...everything in my previous message was from a hardware point of view. I haven't attempted to connect the organ to Hauptwerk yet because I haven't been able to any MIDI output yet.

Up to this point I have been running HW with a MIDI keyboard and midified pedalboard, and that setup works beautifully!!

Thanks!

Return to DIY organ consoles / MIDI