It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:40 am

Reed Switch Question

Building organ consoles for use with Hauptwerk, adding MIDI to existing consoles, obtaining parts, ...
  • Author

AndrewYaggie

Reed Switch Question

PostMon Feb 08, 2010 6:25 pm

I have searched the boards over and over and read plenty on adding reed switches to create a midi pedalboard but still have a few questions.

For starters, I have acquired a 32 note conn pedalboard which is in pretty good condition. I started taking it apart today to clean it and fix pedals that stick or do not move freely and need to fix several things before it is in fully playable condition.

Second, I ordered the midi system from Artisan Instruments after researching many different options. I thought about purchasing their reed switch kit, but instead of paying $250, I figured I could probably wire it up myself, as I have a fair understanding of electronics and am pretty handy with a soldering iron.

So finally my question: I have looked high and low but have found few places [non-wholesale] to acquire reed switches and magnets and also worry I will purchase the wrong ones. With that being said, can anyone recommend 1. a company online 2. a switch suitable for my project and 3. a magnet that will be adequate but not too strong for the project.

I had talked to Mark and he suggested that a microswitch such as the link posted below would be easier and work just as well. Any thoughts?

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=060-610

3dOrganist

Re: Reed Switch Question

PostMon Feb 08, 2010 7:37 pm

For what it's worth:

If you want reed switches, you might try DigiKey, Mouser, and other electronic suppliers.. I had bought mine at AllElectronics, but it doesn't look like they have the larger reed switches any more.

I think the magnets I used were about 1/2" x 1/4", maybe 1/16" thick, glued to the side of the pedal key. I put the reed switches inside some plastic tubing used to supply water to ice makers, and mounted them next to each key using some wire mounts. I've had no trouble with it. (I used a MidiGadgetsBoutique encoder, but that shouldn't make any difference.) I could position the switches and/or tubing so that the note would sound at the right point of travel.

Good luck!
Mark

AndrewYaggie

PostMon Feb 08, 2010 7:49 pm

Thanks for the advice...I am nervous about purchasing the wrong item and although cheap, it kills me to have to buy materials twice because I didn't do enough research. Also, Digikey is located in my backyard practically and I know the owner quite well. Nonetheless, it's hard to pick things online with little info.

I found this online and these switches look very interesting and easy to mount on a piece of wood or something without worrying about damage to the glass tube

http://www.goldmine-elec-products.com/prodinfo.asp?number=G1347

I should also ask - is there a voltage consideration I should know about? I know midi is fairly low voltage so any of the switches will likely work without having to worry about voltage, correct?

engrssc

PostMon Feb 08, 2010 10:45 pm

No worry on the voltage for operating a MIDI encoder when using reed switches.

Check out :http://www.my-music.mine.nu/project.htm#Stage_Three:_The_Organ_Pedalboard

http://www.fagerjord.org/orgel/index.php?id=pedalboard_5#siste Scroll down to Update 15.11.2009 - FINISHED! Click on a picture for enlarged view.

Rgds,
Ed

Taco

PostThu Feb 11, 2010 2:17 pm

The magnets (nyodem) i became from MGB are round 5 mm. and thick 2 mm.
Taco.

Return to DIY organ consoles / MIDI