It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:10 am

Macbook Pro M1 Max on the way

Buying or building computers for Hauptwerk, recommendations, troubleshooting computer hardware issues.
  • Author

mwdiers

Macbook Pro M1 Max on the way

PostWed Oct 20, 2021 1:53 pm

I am currently running Hauptwerk 6 on a 2019 Macbook Pro. It is a company-owned machine. I am finally having to play by the rules I make (as the CIO of my company) and am separating out my music production to my own machine. I was just waiting for the new Macbooks to arrive.

In any case, I have ordered a 16" M1 Max with 64GB of RAM, and plan to put Hauptwerk through its paces, and report back. Since this is a custom build, I won't see it until November 10-17.

Speaking of Pace: As of September, there is a Universal Binary 2 version of the PACE Eden client that is now available, and ARM-native iLok plugin updates are just starting to roll out from a number of developers. So the way is now paved for Hauptwerk to go native.

Of course, that will mean porting AVX code to NEON on ARM, as well as any assembly bits that Martin might have in there. So it will probably be a while.

In any case, I have a feeling everything is going to run splendidly via Rosetta2 for the time being, and in fact, much better than it does on my current machine.

RaymondList

Re: Macbook Pro M1 Max on the way

PostWed Oct 20, 2021 4:29 pm

I can't wait to hear your reports. That will be some machine!

Regards,
Ray
Ray

Romanos

PostFri Oct 22, 2021 8:36 am

I, too, look forward to what you have to report back. I was sorely hoping for a beefed up mac mini (I have an m1 mini at work and I love it; I just need more ram) but that hasn't come yet. But I'm running a 2013 imac with only 32gb ram and I really want to up to 64.

Jcvtpo

PostThu Dec 16, 2021 10:26 am

Any updates? I'm also considering buying a tricked-out Macbook Pro and I'm curious how well they run Hauptwerk.

RaymondList

PostMon Dec 20, 2021 5:21 pm

I thought I'd give a little input here from my just-completed upgrade. I did not go the "full" M1 Max route, but went instead with the M1 Pro, 10 CPU core, 16 graphic core, 32 MB Mac Book Pro. With double the memory that I previously had, I was able to change to 20-bit Memory Sample Resolution for all ranks of my favorite organs since previously I had to pick and choose ranks to load at various 16 and 20 bit resolutions to get the organs to fit in my limited memory. I was also able to change to 96kHz Sample Rate along with "Real-time audio pitch shifting quality" set at "Higher definition". Playing 'fast and hard' with completely full organ on both the SP Bellevue Casavant (with some added reverb) and the Hereford Cathedral caused the M1 Pro to ask me "Is that all you can throw at me?". The thing is astounding. Computer fans have never yet turned on. CPU reading on iStat Menus shows just over 50% utilization. This thing runs rings around my previous Intel MBP. The organs sound better than they ever did. I've just changed computers today so will have more fun to report on in a few days. I will be glad to 'test' anything anyone would request if I can.
Ray

mnailor

PostMon Dec 20, 2021 6:05 pm

If you're willing and have time, would you do the static polyphony measurement described in the HW user guide Performance tuning section with 96k and higher def? What's your sample buffer size?

Thank you!

RaymondList

PostTue Dec 21, 2021 5:39 pm

I ran the polyphony tests today. I'm using a MOTU Ultra-lite Mk4 connected to the computer through an OWC Thunderbolt 3 dock which also handles all the USB connections. The MOTU is running in Class-compliant USB mode because I feel the sound is more crisp and clean than using MOTU's drivers. Buffer size is 512 with 1 buffer. Sample rate 96kHz with "Higher Def" ON. Hauptwerk reports a 6.8 ms sound delay. I started to get minor audio glitches at 6500 pipes sounding. As an aside, I keep saying "WOW" to my wife. I'm certain she is tired of hearing that. If I can do anything else or if I've left out any pertinent information, just let me know.

Best regards,
Ray
Ray

mnailor

PostTue Dec 21, 2021 8:53 pm

Thank you very much. That's really good CPU capacity. Nice.

(My i9-9900 can only do about 6000 with buffer size 2048, other parameters the same.)

mwdiers

PostThu Dec 23, 2021 4:42 pm

Hello all.

I have been using the M1 Max with 64GB for about a month now. Sorry, I was fighting off Covid in the midst of that and didn't report back.

Initially I attempted to move the Hauptwerk installation and update paths in the XML files, as I have done in past machine migrations. That did not work this time. Hauptwerk crashed immediately.

I then re-ran the installer, and thereafter everything worked fine, and all my already-installed instruments came up no problem. The VST/AU bridge works great with Logic Pro X running native. iLok Manager has already been updated to run fine under Rosetta.

Performance is on par or better than my previous machine, an i9 with 64 Gb (it was a company-owned machine. This M1 Max is actually my first personally-owned Macbook).

Cached instruments load in about 60% of the time it took before. The Masterworks Skinner loads in under 9 seconds (24-bit, lossless compression, all available samples). The Notre Dame de Metz Extended loads in 11 seconds (24-bit, lossless, all attack, loop, and release samples). I have no latency or crackling issues with identical settings (96Khz, 2 512 frame audio buffers).

I have found no UI oddities, other than the Help menu appearing to the right of the notch, but that's as expected.

I use a Komplete Kontrol S61 MK2 as my main MIDI keyboard in Logic. I did have some issues there, as transport controls did not work unless Logic was running in Rosetta mode. However, the latest KK software update from Native Instruments has fixed that, provided I launch Logic in Rosetta mode at least once to configure the keyboard via auto-detection. Thereafter I can run in Native mode, and the keyboard, with all transport controls, continues to work.

The fans do not run, even though in addition to Logic and Hauptwerk, I am using FabFilter Pro C2 for compression, and R for reverb in my mixing chain, along with IK Multimedia ARC, for room correction. The CPU barely budges when playing/recording.

When Hauptwerk goes native (VII ???), I can't wait to see how it performs. I doubt polyphony will be a problem with even the largest sample sets. When Apple releases the updated version of the Mac Mini to support the M1 Max with 64Gb of RAM, it will make the ideal Hauptwerk machine for permanent installations.

Romanos

PostTue Jan 04, 2022 8:26 am

When Apple releases the updated version of the Mac Mini to support the M1 Max with 64Gb of RAM, it will make the ideal Hauptwerk machine for permanent installations.

This is indeed what I'm hoping for.

Return to Computer hardware / specs