It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:19 am

Touch-screen displays: Portrait or Landscape?

Buying or building computers for Hauptwerk, recommendations, troubleshooting computer hardware issues.
  • Author

EricMcK

Touch-screen displays: Portrait or Landscape?

PostWed May 11, 2016 3:37 pm

Hi again - let's talk about displays. I've seen photos of several HW instruments which have portrait-oriented touch screens. That seems pretty handy, but I haven't seen many LED or LCD touch screens that rotate from landscape to portrait. So what's the best practice here? Is landscape okay for a dual-monitor setup?

This would be for an EM Skinner (1928) HW installation, three manuals. Trying to find the right pair of monitors for the best experience. I've looked at the HP/Compaq 2206 (which do rotate), and the reviews aren't all that good. Classic Midiworks ships Viewsonic 22" displays with their pre-configured computers, but those don't rotate. How important is that?

Thanks!

murph

Re: Touch-screen displays: Portrait or Landscape?

PostWed May 11, 2016 3:58 pm

If the screens are mounted on vesa mounts, then they can be orientated any way you desire.
The graphics card should do the rest (when told to. It's advisable to check BEFORE buying. The cheaper ones don't rotate.)

David Baldwin

PostThu May 12, 2016 3:38 am

You can by a cheap one if you rescue an old stand which gives sufficient clearance for portrait mode.
(Dr.) David G. Baldwin

IainStinson

PostThu May 12, 2016 4:10 am

I use my two displays (Iiyama ProLite T2452MTS-B1 touch screens) in portrait orientation as this better matches the normal layout of the stop jambs of many of the instruments I play (though with some instruments landscape might be more appropriate). The VESA mounting points on the monitor allow you to attach the monitor to various stands and the stand mount which allows them to be rotated.

I use https://www.ergomounts.co.uk/products/lcd-monitor-tv-arms/desk-mount/ultraview-400-series-monitor-desk-mount-4397.html.

I have not had great success with using the graphic card's facilities to rotate the images displayed (on Windows 10. with the desktop extended across the two monitors) and don't do it.

Iain

David Baldwin

PostThu May 12, 2016 6:55 am

I originally had 2 Prolite T2250MTS. One came with a height adjustable stand whilst the other didn't. Unfortunately one had to be replaced. I purchased a Viewsonic which would not physically rotate and I transferred it onto the adjustable Prolite stand.
I am now running Windows 10 with both both screens in Portrait mode. I just upgraded from windows 7 and they were OK.
(Dr.) David G. Baldwin

Tompion

PostFri May 26, 2023 2:44 pm

Although this thread is seven years old, it seems the best place for my post:

The next stage in assembling my console is to decide on a touchscreen monitor. I've been considering the 22" Viewsonic TD 2230. (It appears to be a more recent version of the TD2220, frequently referred to over the years on this forum.)

I'd like the option of operating it in portrait mode; I'd be using a VESA mounted monitor stand. But I've read that a good many touchscreen monitors will not function properly in portrait mode. The monitor will display correctly, but the touchscreen function becomes unlinked from where (in our case) the stops are visually located.

Does anyone have experience of using the touchscreen function on Viewsonic touchscreen monitors when in portrait mode?
Bruce

magnaton

PostFri May 26, 2023 5:04 pm

I have the Viewsonic TD2230 that I use in Landscape mode. I've had it since 2017 with no real issues. Once in a great awhile it will flicker just once after being on for the first 5 minutes. But that started about 2 years ago. I picked this one since is had very thin bezel, which I like.

As others have stated, running in Portrait orientation is a function of your VESA mount as most allow you to rotate between the 2 modes and of course the operating system needs to be told about the Portrait orientation as its default setting is Landscape. Finally the respective organ set may look better if there actually is a separate portrait option. Sonus Paradisi sets usually show what all the available screens, in both orientations, will look like on their website. Others, like Piotr Grabowski don't provide that level of detail of all screen shots but *do* automatically flip to their alternative Portrait counterpart when detected, especially for the Left & Right stop jambs. Same for the MDA Salisbury set, it does have a separate (correct) Portrait graphic but these examples are absent on their website. Someone will need to confirm about the MDA OLMC Skinner. Finally the Paramount sets DO NOT have a Portrait counterpart. So if running a Paramount set in Portrait the (landscape) graphic is flattened with large blank spaces above and below.

Finally I've seen and played a few HW setups with twin Landscape monitors. These were converted consoles with the stop jambs or bolsters still intact so the TS monitors 'hovered' over them. Having them in Portrait mode in these cases would have made them a bit tall and less attractive.

Hope this helps.

Danny B.

Tompion

PostSat May 27, 2023 8:41 pm

Hi Danny, thank you for your comments. I've ordered the TD2230 and will decide whether or not to get a VESA monitor arm once I have experience with the monitor in landscape mode.
Bruce

Return to Computer hardware / specs