It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:49 am

Memory Upgrade Beyond Specified Limits

Buying or building computers for Hauptwerk, recommendations, troubleshooting computer hardware issues.
  • Author

rayjcar

Memory Upgrade Beyond Specified Limits

PostSun Jun 07, 2020 6:23 pm

My Hauptwerk setup runs on a dedicated Dell Studio XPS 9100 which I purchased ten years.ago.It is running Hauptwerk 5.01 on Windows 10 with no issues. At the time of delivery it was equipped with 12 GB of ram, consisting of six 240 pin UDIMMS of 2 GB each. According to the Dell specifications, the maximum permissible memory was supposed to be limited to 24 GB.

In researching some blogs, it appears that some users have upgraded similar (but not the same model) computers to have memory above the specified limits. It turns out that the maximum capacity of current generation memory modules for the specific type used in this computer is 8 GB. On a whim I purchased two sets of 2 x 8GB memory modules, and replaced three of the existing 2 GB modules. The architecture of the motherboard is such that the six memory slots are divided into two banks of three each. It is essential that all three memory modules within a bank are identical in size. This means that I would retain 6 GB of the original configuration, and add 24.

I booted up the computer, and voila, the installed memory was recognized immediately, and the total memory available showed as 30 GB! With the Paramount 341 organ loaded I am showing almost 22 GB free.

It appears that I can upgrade the remaining three memory slots with another 24 GB, and max the computer out at 48 GB.

I am recounting this experiment to underline the fact that supposed limitations of older computers were due to several factors such as the operating system at the time (32 versus 64 bit), the bios version, and the maximum memory size of individual chips. For less than 300 dollars I have an old (but perfectly reliable and robust computer) now capable of loading very large classical organs.

As the old saying goes, "never, never, say never".

Ray

micdev

Site Admin

Re: Memory Upgrade Beyond Specified Limits

PostSun Jun 07, 2020 8:04 pm

While it is true that in some cases you can go over the specified limit (at that time for example only 2 or 4Gb memory sticks were available), you may need to go over those limits update your bios and in other cases it won't work at all (the chipset has its own limits)..

Also, before spending $200-$300 (or more) on new memory, make sure that you can get a refund it this doesn't work. :wink:
Best regards
François

Virtually sharing my enthusiasm and experience with you
Worldwide technical assistance, consultation and ready to play system.

http://www.HauptwerkConsultant.com

AND Hauptwerk Support Manager

engrssc

PostSun Jun 07, 2020 8:07 pm

In another memory "thing" I use a Dell Venue 11 pro tablet where Dell specs the max drive capacity to be 256 gb using a M.2 memory stick. I found I can fit a 1 TB NVMe half length stick in there and the tablet recognizes every bit and byte. The bummer is that the RAM is soldered in and can't be upgraded. Same as the 2018 MacMkni's

I can use the touch screen tablet to play HW organs sample sets as long as they can work within the slightly less than 8 gb RAM limit. I do use a dock for the tablet which provides power and 3 extra USB 2.0 slots. With the minaturization continuing to get "more minature", maybe someday we will be able to use the computing power of a fitness watch to play HW. :o

Don't laugh. I remember back in the early '50s when David Sarnoff, who was The Man behind RCA predicted that when a child was born, he/she would be assigned a phone number for life. When the child was old enough, it would given a wrist watch-like device to be able to communicate with video and sound. to anyone in the world. And if the person they wanted to communicate with couldn't respond, you would know that person was dead.

And we're getting there. 8)

That's video tape Mr Sarnoff is showing in front of an early video recorder. A little hard to carry that version around.

And as a radio operator: That's a telephone on the desk behind him.

Rgds.
Ed

gecko

PostMon Jun 08, 2020 7:24 am

And you wouldn't believe what organs used to look like, way back in the days before computers and Hauptwerk :mrgreen:
I still have a very small website
http://dustyfeet.com

Return to Computer hardware / specs