It is currently Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:28 am

Windows 10 Fall update

Buying or building computers for Hauptwerk, recommendations, troubleshooting computer hardware issues.
  • Author

engrssc

Windows 10 Fall update

PostSun Oct 25, 2020 12:47 am

has been released - 20H 2 - 2020 - by Microsoft. Present build is 19042.572.
If I you want to force the update for your online PC, it is available here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
Same page has a link to the Windows 10 installation media which contains the latest update.

You can check which version of Win 10 is installed by clicking on "Start", type "WINVER", click on that link.

Rgds,
Ed

engrssc

Re: Windows 10 Fall update

PostThu Oct 29, 2020 8:43 am

While many of us purposedly keep our Hauptwerk computers from being connected directly to the Internet, it is important likewise to keep our online computers current with the latest security updates because we may download software for various purposes which we then load into the HW computer and can thus indirectly infect our HW system. Cybercriminals are esp active as pointed out by headlines such as:

BOSTON (AP) — Federal agencies warned that cybercriminals are unleashing a wave of data-scrambling extortion attempts against the U.S. healthcare system designed to lock up hospital information systems, which could hurt patient care just as nationwide cases of COVID-19 are spiking.

In a joint alert Wednesday, the FBI and two federal agencies warned that they had “credible information of an increased and imminent cybercrime threat to U.S. hospitals and healthcare providers.” The alert said malicious groups are targeting the sector with attacks that produce “data theft and disruption of healthcare services."

The cyberattacks involve ransomware, which scrambles data into gibberish that can only be unlocked with software keys provided once targets pay up. Independent security experts say it has already hobbled at least five U.S. hospitals this week, and could potentially impact hundreds more.

This also points to the need to do regular periodic backups of important data. Drives for backups are so relatively cheap these. days it's not worth the risks. Very false security to think "It'll never happen to me." Yeah, right.
I keep several backups a week or so apart because if our online computer gets infected, we don't always immediately see results of this. Sometimes secret small 'seeds' can be attached to programs by these bad guys.

This last Microsoft update is contains mostly security updates with a few feature improvements. Well worth doing the latest update. While the update takes a while to download and install, we can still use the computer while this takes place. Some of the best brains against cybercrime are trying to help us, seems foolish not to use what they offer.

We sometimes hear that an update, has caused a problem. Having a backup gives you the ability to go back to the version that worked. Many to these so called problems are as a result of tweaks or modifications we may have made to the computer, not due to the update itself. When M/S issues an update, they have no idea what modifications (tweaks) we have made. Best to use the philosophy, if it ain't broke, don't (try to) fix it. :wink:

Rgds,
Ed

engrssc

PostThu Oct 29, 2020 10:30 am

I'd be interested to hear some comments and advice from Martin's wisdom regarding these issues.

Rgds,
Ed

mdyde

PostThu Oct 29, 2020 10:38 am

Hello Ed,

I don't really have time to be involved in this discussion myself at the moment -- very sorry.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

organtechnology

PostThu Oct 29, 2020 4:15 pm

engrssc wrote:I'd be interested to hear some comments and advice from Martin's wisdom regarding these issues.

Rgds,
Ed

Hi Ed,

Although I am not Martin, I would like to toss out a possible alternate path. One solution would be for Organtechnology to load Windows 10 IoT LTSC, which only receives security updates and not feature updates, and it may be possible to prepare a new bootable thumb drive with the new OS and Hauptwerk v5 loaded on it. It is also a good way to get a v5 upgrade and new v5 organs downloaded.

The cost for the new OS is $229.00, v5 is $299, iLok key is $50.00and there is now a $30.00sample set batch migration fee. My fee is $504.00US.

We are a(n) Haupttwerk Authorized reseller and MDA Sample Set reseller. However, I can only provide this service for the U. S. A. and territories. Postage will vary.

Best regards,

Thomas
Complete Hauptwerk™ systems using real wood consoles, PC Sound Engines, Dante Audio for Home or Church. info (at) organtechnology.com http://www.organtechnology.com
Authorized Hauptwerk; Milan Digital Audio and Lavender Audio reseller.
USA and Canada shipments only.

engrssc

PostThu Oct 29, 2020 7:29 pm

Thanks, Thomas.

And I understand Martin's answer. I'm trying to help someone who downloaded HW but is not a Forum member. He is convinced he got malware and a possible virus from downloading HW. I'm not in a position to speak on behalf of HW regarding anything being done by Hauptwerk to prevent such from happening. And he is not the first to think this could have happened as hackers have been known to "hide" malicious seeds on legit software. These days such is a real concern as the bad guys have been able to infiltrate large "targets". :mrgreen:

A few days ago Malwarebytes found some security issues on one of my online computers and quarantines them. And, no, I'm not paranoid.

Rgds,
Ed

organtechnology

PostThu Oct 29, 2020 9:32 pm

engrssc wrote:Thanks, Thomas.

And I understand Martin's answer. I'm trying to help someone who downloaded HW but is not a Forum member. He is convinced he got malware and a possible virus from downloading HW. I'm not in a position to speak on behalf of HW regarding anything being done by Hauptwerk to prevent such from happening. And he is not the first to think this could have happened as hackers have been known to "hide" malicious seeds on legit software. These days such is a real concern as the bad guys have been able to infiltrate large "targets". :mrgreen:

A few days ago Malwarebytes found some security issues on one of my online computers and quarantines them. And, no, I'm not paranoid.

Rgds,
Ed

Well that makes my suggestion even better. Your friend would put a new HDD or SSD in the machine and the Golden Disk (thumb drive) would partition, format and install all the necessary software for Hauptwerk. Then you would re-install Hauptwerk, plug in the iLok dongle and take the Hawptwerk backup from his old drive (if he has one) and you are back to using Hauptwerk. The OS will not need to update until 2029 but the user can chose to do so if they want. Security updates will continue to be sent. It may not be a toaster but it's less complicated than a microwave. :)

Thomas
Complete Hauptwerk™ systems using real wood consoles, PC Sound Engines, Dante Audio for Home or Church. info (at) organtechnology.com http://www.organtechnology.com
Authorized Hauptwerk; Milan Digital Audio and Lavender Audio reseller.
USA and Canada shipments only.

engrssc

PostThu Oct 29, 2020 10:05 pm

I'll pass it on. I'd really rather not deal with this person which isn't my normal M/O. He's been very negative about Hauptwerk. after the issues he's referred to.

Rgds,
Ed

mdyde

PostFri Oct 30, 2020 5:53 am

Hello Ed,

I'm trying to help someone who downloaded HW but is not a Forum member. He is convinced he got malware and a possible virus from downloading HW. I'm not in a position to speak on behalf of HW regarding anything being done by Hauptwerk to prevent such from happening. And he is not the first to think this could have happened as hackers have been known to "hide" malicious seeds on legit software. These days such is a real concern as the bad guys have been able to infiltrate large "targets".

I absolutely promise that the Hauptwerk installers hosted on the Hauptwerk website (current, and past) have/had no viruses or other malware in them. Every Hauptwerk installer that's ever been uploaded to the website has been checked for viruses/malware with up-to-date versions of both McAfee and Norton prior to being uploaded (and also after being uploaded), and all computers on which Hauptwerk is developed have reputable up-to-date virus scanners (McAfee or Norton) and are maintained to very high standards of security. The MD5 checksums of the installers are always listed on the website (e.g.: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=18416 ) so that people can make sure that the files they download match the files that were checked and uploaded.

For good measure, I've just downloaded both the current (v5.0.1) Windows and Mac installers again, and verified that the files are still exactly as originally uploaded (same MD5 checksums), and that the current version of Norton still finds no viruses or malware in them.

(Note that occasionally virus scanners do incorrectly report that a file has viruses/malware in it, which is termed a 'false positive'. The freeware Avast! scanner has been guilty of that with Hauptwerk installers in the past, which had been reported to its makers.)

If your friend did indeed get a virus or malware then that didn't occur due to the Hauptwerk installers on the Hauptwerk website.

Of course, any computer that ever connects to the Internet should have all available operating security patches applied, be on a version of the operating system that's supported by its makers (Microsoft of Apple), and must have an up-to-date reputable virus scanner, and be used in a security-conscious way (avoiding clicking on links to questionable websites, avoiding opening questionable email attachments, etc.). If not, then using the Internet at all risks the computer getting viruses or malware.
Best regards, Martin.

engrssc

PostFri Oct 30, 2020 8:01 am

Thanks, Martin.

Everything you say I know to be true. This person has had some issues, possibly, but it doesn't follow logic. I tried several times and ways to convince him to look elsewhere for the source of his problem and he refuses to do that. I don't feel it's presently beneficial to spend more time trying to solve his issues. It goes with 'trying to convince a man against his will is of the same opinion still.'

I did forward your above reply, so will wait for his response. If he changes his mind, I'll be happy to help.

Rgds,
Ed

mdyde

PostFri Oct 30, 2020 8:13 am

Thanks, Ed.
Best regards, Martin.

engrssc

PostFri Oct 30, 2020 12:26 pm

And thanks to Martin's convincing reply above, some good news. This person has begun to look elsewhere for a solution. He started by updating Win 10 which he didn't do for quite awhile. He also downloaded the free trial version of Malwarebytes which found 192 security issues.

Over time, I've always felt there are one or more solutions to every problem. Not always easy to find and not always as expected or willing to be accepted.

I do think that Martin's explanation did the trick. :) (wish there was a thumbs up smiley)
Once again the power of positive thinking.

Rgds,
Ed

mdyde

PostFri Oct 30, 2020 12:41 pm

Thanks again, Ed.
Best regards, Martin.

Return to Computer hardware / specs