It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:48 pm

Suggestions for a new motherboard

Buying or building computers for Hauptwerk, recommendations, troubleshooting computer hardware issues.
  • Author

eddie_ce

Suggestions for a new motherboard

PostSun Nov 01, 2020 5:38 am

Hi,
I have been running HW4 on a PC with Win7 64-Bit and an i7 processor and 24GB RAM, the MB doesn't support more.

I am in the process of ugrading to HW V and more importantly, would like to use the SP Rotterdam wet surround sample set, so I don't think that I'll get very far with 24GB.

Can anyone suggest a suitable motherboard which would support at least 64GB of RAM and preferably space for up to 128GB?

Should I at the same time ditch the Intel i7 for a later processor?

Any experiences shared or tips much appreciated.

Regards
Eddie King

rayjcar

Re: Suggestions for a new motherboard

PostSun Nov 01, 2020 8:05 am

The 24 GB memory limit may have been a function of the maximum possible memory size per stick when you purchased your computer. In my case, I have a Dell XPS 9100 which was specified as having a 24 GB limit. It has six memory slots, and at the time came equipped with six 2 GB sticks for a total of 12 GB. I replaced all six sticks with compatible Crucial memory (8 GB per stick). Booted up and the full 48 GB were recognized and tested out just fine.

So the following questions may determine if your memory size can be increased:
1) what is the processor?
2) how many memory slots do you have?
3) is the memory divided into banks which must have matching (in size) memory sticks? In my case there were two banks of three slots each.
4) what is the largest memory you can purchase per stick that is compatible with your processor?

If you do a search, you may find blogs that indicate whether others have had success in pushing the memory size limit. It may be necessary to ensure that the BIOS has been updated to the latest version.

Ray

engrssc

Re: Suggestions for a new motherboard

PostSun Nov 01, 2020 2:56 pm

Return to Computer hardware / specs