It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:22 am

There Are Still 100 Million PCs Running Windows 7

Buying or building computers for Hauptwerk, recommendations, troubleshooting computer hardware issues.
  • Author

engrssc

There Are Still 100 Million PCs Running Windows 7

dhm

Re: There Are Still 100 Million PCs Running Windows 7

PostWed Jan 06, 2021 12:38 pm

And if our Hauptwerk PCs are never connected to the Internet (but have all the latest surviving updates downloaded after installation), why not continue to use Win 7? It's reliable, stable, and simple to use. :D
Douglas Henn-Macrae
Authorized Hauptwerk Reseller
http://www.midi-organs.eu

engrssc

PostWed Jan 06, 2021 1:06 pm

The question would be how long (considering new versions 7, 8, 9+) will HW and other "latest and greatest" other software still be able to use W7?

Interesting thought:

"So, suffice it to say that Windows 7 will be with us for a long time. While Microsoft is no longer releasing regular patches for Windows 7, the number of people still using it could force the company to revisit it's aging OS from time to time. After all, even Windows XP has gotten a few critical patches in the years since Microsoft ended support."

Rgds,
Ed

engrssc

PostSun Jan 10, 2021 10:57 am

Deleted

jmoboe

PostSun Jan 10, 2021 12:04 pm

I use W7 with HW because W10 does not support properly Firewire interfaces. I have a dual boot system usually running W10 and I switch to W7 when I want to use HW. It's a pain in the neck but it is better than spending $500-1000 to replace my interface. Of course, my W7 is frozen, not connected to the internet and optimized for audio applications.

Jean-Marc

engrssc

PostSun Jan 10, 2021 12:38 pm

jmoboe wrote:I use W7 with HW because W10 does not support properly Firewire interfaces. I have a dual boot system usually running W10 and I switch to W7 when I want to use HW. It's a pain in the neck but it is better than spending $500-1000 to replace my interface. Of course, my W7 is frozen, not connected to the internet and optimized for audio applications.

Is there any current info re this situation? Trying to help someone find a reasonable solution.

In spite of what it says, apparently the latest info is that the legacy driver is not required for using the
Syba SY-PEX30016 3 Port IEEE 1394 Firewire 1394B & 1394A PCIe 1.1 x1 Card with the latest version of Win 10 as it has the TI chipset.

https://www.amazon.com/Syba-SY-PEX30016-Firewire-XIO2213B-Requires/dp/B006DQ0KD2/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=TI+chipset+StarTech.com+4+port+PCI+1394a+FireWire+Adapter+Card+-+3+External+1+Internal+FireWire+PCI+Card&qid=1610301558&s=electronics&sr=1-3

There seems to be different opinions being expressed:

I'm running Windows 7, but in my dealing with support from Focusrite (which was excellent), they disclosed that it was no longer necessary to use the legacy driver, contrary to what I had read all over their website and the rest of the Internet (forums, etc). I don't know how this is with other companies, but I would suspect that it's similar in nature.

Zalant · January 24, 2020

OTOH:
Dear Customer,
Honestly, we cannot confirm this. Firewire is inconsistent on Windows 10 in the best of circumstances. We have had customers report successes with Focusrite interfaces over Firewire, and one customer who would have a Presonus work if they plugged the interface in AFTER the computer finished booting, which we know is not an ideal circumstance. The Legacy Driver is currently the only solution for getting Firewire on Windows 10.

Emmanuel Medina Manufacturer · January 24, 2020

Rgds,
Ed

engrssc

PostFri Feb 12, 2021 1:55 pm

While not a HW issue but this article points to Windows 7 vulnerability:

In this case, hackers broke into a Florida city's water system with the intent to poison it.

Employees at the water treatment plant in Florida installed TeamViewer on several computers to help them manage the facility. However, all the computers shared the same password for remote access.

The same computers were connected to the internet, without a firewall, making it easier for any hacker to breach the machines over the open internet. To make matters worse, the affected computers ran a 32-bit version of Windows 7, which no longer receives security updates, save for enterprise customers who bought extended life support.

The details about the breach come from an advisory the Massachusetts state government released to local water suppliers urging them to be on guard against cyber attacks. The same post contains details from federal investigators on how the breach at the water plant in Florida likely occurred. (The Associated Press was first to report the news.)

On Tuesday, the FBI also released an alert to companies and governments, which points to “poor password security” and “outdated Windows 7” use as security weaknesses the hacker likely exploited to break into the Florida water plant

https://www.pcmag.com/news/hacked-water-plant-in-florida-relied-on-shared-password-windows-7?utm_source=email&utm_campaign=extremetech&utm_medium=title

Rgds,
Ed

Return to Computer hardware / specs