It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:48 pm

Can sample sets be loaded on 2 different SSD's

Buying or building computers for Hauptwerk, recommendations, troubleshooting computer hardware issues.
  • Author

engrssc

Can sample sets be loaded on 2 different SSD's

PostWed Mar 10, 2021 10:34 am

Trying to help someone remotely. Nothing we suggested seems to work. I've never had to do this myself.
Situation, his C drive is full and doesn't have money to buy a new, larger drive. Thoughts.

Rgds,
Ed

mnailor

Re: Can sample sets be loaded on 2 different SSD's

PostWed Mar 10, 2021 10:37 am

No, Hauptwerk doesn't support a single directory over multiple drives.

mdyde

PostWed Mar 10, 2021 10:42 am

Hello Ed,

To add to Mark's reply, you may instead be able to set the two drives up together as a RAID 0 array, so that the operating system presents them as a single combined drive. (However, doing so would involve re-formatting them, losing any existing data on them.)
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

engrssc

PostWed Mar 10, 2021 11:30 am

Thanks. Setting up a RAID 0 array was my first suggestion. Could be he doesn't have enough know how to do that. He has 2 spare drives but they are not the same size. He also says he read (somewhere) that there is a way to do this, hmm.

My last suggestion was to save up enough $$ to get a proper larger drive. Maybe be an Uber driver as a side job? :wink:

Rgds,
Ed

mdyde

PostWed Mar 10, 2021 11:38 am

Thanks, Ed.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

micdev

Site Admin

PostWed Mar 10, 2021 12:17 pm

Ed,

Why doesn't he simply by an inexpensive SSD (even if it is not very fast, or a regular HDD) and but the HauptwerkSampleSetsandComponents on that new drive. Even if it is slow, it the files in this folder are only used when caching the organ. This will free up a lot of space on his C: drive... you can get a 1TB HDD for less $40...
Best regards
François

Virtually sharing my enthusiasm and experience with you
Worldwide technical assistance, consultation and ready to play system.

http://www.HauptwerkConsultant.com

AND Hauptwerk Support Manager

Purator

PostWed Mar 10, 2021 12:49 pm

micdev wrote:Ed,

Why doesn't he simply by an inexpensive SSD (even if it is not very fast, or a regular HDD) and but the HauptwerkSampleSetsandComponents on that new drive. Even if it is slow, it the files in this folder are only used when caching the organ. This will free up a lot of space on his C: drive... you can get a 1TB HDD for less $40...

Or just use one of the spare disks for this. This folder is mostly read when a set is loaded for the first time. And even then it might not be that annoying if it is a slow drive.

Regarding a RAID, if your disks are not the same size you can very often configure them as JBOD, which stands for "Just a Bunch Of Disks". However this should only be considered if there is no other option.

engrssc

PostThu Mar 11, 2021 7:33 am

Still looking for details on how to do this esp moving files around. Don't want to suggest doing this to someone without having more info.

Am I correct in thinking what Mark and Martin are referring to (Hauptwerk doesn't support a single directory over multiple drives.) is different than

micdev wrote: buying an inexpensive SSD and put the HauptwerkSampleSetsandComponents on that new drive

Question - how does Hauptwerk go about finding these files on a separate SSD?

Rgds,
Ed

mnailor

PostThu Mar 11, 2021 9:12 am

I use an external SSD over USB for samplesets and components. Make a backup first. Run the HW installer with the Custom option and tell it the new SSD path like F:/Hauptwerk for the samplesets and components, and it will refresh the installation with the new location, and move the directory for you.

Please see these sections of the user guide:

Installation: background information | Planning installation locations
Changing installation locations

engrssc

PostThu Mar 11, 2021 9:43 am

Thanks, Mark,
Sounds like what will work in this case. Your info re Run the HW installer with the Custom option and tell it the new SSD path like F:/Hauptwerk for the sample sets and components, and it will refresh the installation with the new location, and move the directory for you. is what I was looking for. I'm not sure the fella I mentioned is up to doing this tho. I mentioned a while ago to make a backup and he doesn't seem to know how even with step by step instructions.

Rgds,
Ed

micdev

Site Admin

PostThu Mar 11, 2021 10:23 am

Hello Ed,

Am I correct in thinking what Mark and Martin are referring to (Hauptwerk doesn't support a single directory over multiple drives.) is different than

micdev wrote:
buying an inexpensive SSD and put the HauptwerkSampleSetsandComponents on that new drive

As explained by MNailor, running the Hauptwerk installer in advanced more will allow you to select a new destination for the HauptwerkSamplesetsAndComponents folder and move the files (may take hours if a lot of files and depending on the speed of the disks) automatically.

What Martin explained is that a single drive must be on one drive, and the solution proposed is exactly that, the entire HauptwerkSamplesetsAndComponents folder will be on one drive.
Best regards
François

Virtually sharing my enthusiasm and experience with you
Worldwide technical assistance, consultation and ready to play system.

http://www.HauptwerkConsultant.com

AND Hauptwerk Support Manager

engrssc

PostThu Mar 11, 2021 1:53 pm

Got it. I'm just not sure I want to suggest that to a newbie with very limited (tech/computer) knowledge. Easy way to get blamed for his system not working. I'm going to stay with KISS for him to save enough money for a new bigger drive.

Tried to explain he will need to clone his existing drive using Acronis, and that blew him away. :roll: I'm getting the idea that this guy is under the impression that HW is super simple no (tech) knowledge.required. :o I did suggest that he post his issues on the Forum. as an option Think it's time for me to move on.

I tried the suggested procedure and it worked fine for me. Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

Rgds,
Ed

engrssc

PostSat Mar 13, 2021 11:09 am

Update - since I decided to not give further advice because I was convinced his lack of knowledge would lead to unnecessary problems. I found out this fella reached out to someone else. Seems the advice given was beyond his understanding and/or ability with result his HW organ isn't playable presently. His insistence that HW should be easy (and cheap to work with) was a concern that I had. Hope he will post his issues here to get some assistance. Could be a learning experience. :wink: As long as I have been with Hauptwerk, I still keep learning. Thanks all for sharing. :)

Rgds,
Ed

Return to Computer hardware / specs