It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:02 am

Backup/Clone a HW drive?

Buying or building computers for Hauptwerk, recommendations, troubleshooting computer hardware issues.
  • Author

engrssc

Backup/Clone a HW drive?

PostSat Apr 03, 2021 10:17 am

I've been asked several times recently if I consider doing this as important. Answer - definitely yes. Even with solid state drives, mishaps can occur and do. There are situations where a drive can outright fail, but these are rare. More often issues occur when making system changes. As in trying to make "improvements". Having the ability to go back to a known to work setup is what a backed up or cloned drives permit you to do. In my case, my Hauptwerk computer uses a fast 2TB NVMe drive. I have 2 spare 2TB SSD's I alternate (between the 2 SSD's) to clone the main internal NVMe drive approx once a month. I using a printed label to indicate the date of the clone. While it maybe mostly acceptable to store the cloned drives right with the computer, storing them in an alternate location could be a better option as long as you remember where you stored them. Another option is to store the data on the Cloud.

Here is a basic article describing how to do backups:

https://www.pcmag.com/news/the-beginners-guide-to-pc-backup?utm_source=email&utm_campaign=labreport&utm_medium=image

While it may seem to be unnecessary, you might also say you don't (aside from the laws) need car insurance as long as you never have an accident. :o

Rgds,
Ed

Return to Computer hardware / specs