It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:13 am

Could Hauptwerk be made to operate without the USB key?

Buying or building computers for Hauptwerk, recommendations, troubleshooting computer hardware issues.
  • Author

engrssc

Could Hauptwerk be made to operate without the USB key?

PostSun Apr 04, 2021 12:29 am

such as with my Vi Labs pianos. From the Vi Labs user manual:

With the latest iLok system, you no longer need the USB key as you can activate the license to your computer hard drive. As a benefit, you get three activations with your license so you can use your library on up to three machines at a time. You can also use the iLok USB key if you choose. Simply create a free account with iLok.com and that's all you need to use our libraries. We use the UVI engine and sample player and all authorized libraries for the UVI Workstation use the iLok copy protection system. It's a secure platform and allows easy use on more than one machine or as many as needed if using the USB key. Once the license is activated on your computer or iLok key, it stays and doesn't cause restrictions associated with challenge/response systems.

The way this works is I can choose to register a given computer to my iLok account (along with any iLok dongles)
This computer shows up in the left pane of the iLok Manager with the name I gave to this computer when I installed Windows originally. I can drag a Vi Lab license to either one of the (inserted/registered) iLok dongles or to the (named) computer in the left pane. iLok recognizes the (named) computer the same as it does the (inserted) iLok dongle.

There is a difference that when you purchase a license for a Vi Labs piano, you get three activations whrreas with Hauptwerk, you only get a single activation for each purchased sample set.

Rgds,
Ed

Rgds,
Ed

mdyde

Re: Could Hauptwerk be made to operate without the USB key?

PostSun Apr 04, 2021 4:25 am

Hello Ed,

PACE's system does technically have an option for vendors to allow per-computer licensing, but PACE recommend not allowing computer-locked licensing if security is a priority, since computer-locked licensing is considerably less secure (easier to hack or get around). Dongles and iLok Cloud give higher levels of security.

Given that the primary motivation for replacing v4's licensing system was that it was hacked and widely exploited, and that moving to a new licensing system is a huge undertaking, we particularly didn't want to do so in way that would itself be fairly easy to circumvent.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

engrssc

Re: Could Hauptwerk be made to operate without the USB key?

PostSun Apr 04, 2021 6:15 am

Good reasons, thanks for the explanation, Martin.

Rgds,
Ed

Return to Computer hardware / specs