It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:52 am

Windows 10 won't update

Buying or building computers for Hauptwerk, recommendations, troubleshooting computer hardware issues.
  • Author

organsRgreat

Windows 10 won't update

PostTue Apr 20, 2021 7:04 am

I can't find a category that matches this query perfectly, so I'll put it under "General Discussion" . . .
I prefer to download Windows 10 updates manually, to avoid possible interruptions when using the computer for other purposes - especially Hauptwerk. Within Settings, Windows Update is currently informing me that two updates are available; however when I click on "Download" nothing happens. I have tried leaving the computer on overnight, and made sure that my "active hours" are not preventing the download. Several suggestions appear when I research this problem online; have other members encountered it - if so, which method proved most effective?

engrssc

Re: Windows 10 won't update

PostTue Apr 20, 2021 8:00 am

Have you clicked on "Check for updates"? Does it say you you're up to date?

Rgds,
Ed

mdyde

PostTue Apr 20, 2021 8:00 am

[Topic moved here -- although not strictly a computer hardware problem, it seemed the best place for it to me!]
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

IainStinson

PostTue Apr 20, 2021 8:45 am

A couple of thoughts:

Does the Windows Update history give any reason(code) for this behaviour?

Is a restart pending to complete some other update?

I would shutdown and restart the system and see what happens then, though you may have already done this.

Good luck, iain.

micdev

Site Admin

PostTue Apr 20, 2021 12:32 pm

Hi,

Click "Windows icon" then "Setting icon" (gear). In the search field type "Trouble" and select from the list "Troubleshoot settings". In the right pane of the "Troubleshoot" window, select "Windows Update" . Windows will check your installation and may find something wrong and will try to fix it. It may also ask you to run the troubleshooter as an administrator.

Hope that helps.
Best regards
François

Virtually sharing my enthusiasm and experience with you
Worldwide technical assistance, consultation and ready to play system.

http://www.HauptwerkConsultant.com

AND Hauptwerk Support Manager

engrssc

PostTue Apr 20, 2021 8:21 pm

These videos might help plus they have some further interesting factors:

TC Computer Experiment Phase 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGh-NF9rQP8&t=780s

TC Computer Experiment Phase 5
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iafIpyqcBw&t=31s

Win10 Update to 20H2 Fails Part 5
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cw-2pxFh724

Rgds,
Ed

organsRgreat

PostSun Apr 25, 2021 7:06 am

Thanks for all these suggestions - I'd already tried the first three - Windows definitely tells me two updates are pending - one is a "Malicious Software Removal Tool", the other is a "Cumulative Update". Restarting makes no difference; Windows Update troubleshooter "couldn't identify the problem". So I'll have to go through the Youtube videos Ed recommended, which could take some time . . .

Windows Defender (antivirus) seems to update automatically?

kwbmusic

PostSun Apr 25, 2021 5:30 pm

May be irrelevant, but i had a similar problem. I couldn't solve it. However subsequently the hard drive failed and i had to replace it. Perhaps a prelude to a failing drive?
Keith

engrssc

PostSun Apr 25, 2021 6:08 pm

Are you having any specific problems? There are optional updates that Windows may deem to not be necessary or appropriate for your computer. Assuming you have not shut off (paused) updates for a length of time. I wouldn't be concerned unless updates fail to download and install for an extended length of time like maybe 3 - 4 weeks.

Updates are not hardware dependent.

Rgds,
Ed

organsRgreat

PostMon Apr 26, 2021 7:20 am

Keith- The computer is only 2 years old, so I wouldn't expect a drive problem yet. There are 2 SHDD drives in a RAID mirror array, so theoretically data should be safe unless both fail simultaneously; I also have online backup. Is there a way of checking drive health?

Ed - Thanks, I didn't know that Windows might decide not to download certain updates. The computer is working perfectly, I just want to keep it reasonably up to date; so I'll attempt a download each day and see whether it eventually works. I'm dependant upon Windows Defender for anti-virus protection, so I'm more concerned about that - does it update automatically without informing me?

engrssc

PostMon Apr 26, 2021 8:37 am

Windows Defender has become more dependable and robust. I back it up with the paid deluxe version of Malwarebytes which updates automatically. The various versions of "so called free anti-virus protection" are worth exactly what you pay for them - zip - and many times load your computer up with bloatware which can make your computer run slower.

You might want to look at the Win 10 update history to see which updates have been installed. Which usually takes place (again automatically) when the computer is online and an appropriate update is available. Hauptwerk itself has nothing to do with how and when these updates take place.

I've found it best to let Windows 10 do it's thing and not try to out think the Microsoft engineers. Years ago that wouldn't have been my position. But that has (thankfully) changed. For sure, the old saying applies, If it ain't broke don't (look for ways to) try to fix it. :wink:

Rgds,
Ed

organsRgreat

PostFri May 21, 2021 11:36 am

Simply waiting turned out to be the best solution. A few days after posting this query I saw the icon indicating that Windows was ready to install an update, and it did so normally. Since then a further update has installed as expected.

Ed - just to explain that I am not trying to out-think Microsoft engineers; but the less the computer is doing while I'm playing Hauptwerk, the less likely I am to encounter problems. Windows updates usually involve restarting the computer, and although I could set up "active hours" during which such restarts are not allowed, I prefer to be completely in charge. Two of the speakers in my system are early Quad electrostatics (ESL57s), which are known to be somewhat delicate. The sort of noises that can accompany a computer restart would not do them much good, and wouldn't do my nerves much good either if I was concentrating on a complicated piece of music :-)

jkinkennon

PostSat May 22, 2021 10:39 am

I think this problem affected a lot of people though it was really more of an annoyance than anything else. I had both my desktop and laptop refuse to install these updates and then got the "fix" update about a week later. Glad it all worked out and glad to be receiving the updates, some for eye-candy features and some that are actually important.

engrssc

PostWed Jun 09, 2021 6:14 pm

Since Microsoft released 2 updates yesterday 6/8/21, several have gotten an error message stating an update
failed because one or more updates (that the new update was looking for) wasn't present. This, even though the new update had been downloaded and was indicated to be 100% installed. What I found was to leave the update that wouldn't install (alone) to "do it's thing" as eventually it did install. After the "missing" update that it didn't find had automatically installed (by itself) an hour or so later.

Concluding M/S has structured the updates to be installed in a certain order, maybe?

Yeah, I know that description is kinda awkward.

Rgds,
Ed

Return to Computer hardware / specs