It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:30 am

Why not Linux ?

Buying or building computers for Hauptwerk, recommendations, troubleshooting computer hardware issues.
  • Author

Paradise

Why not Linux ?

PostThu May 27, 2021 2:47 pm

Hello,

I have been a Linux user for my PC's for many years, and I am sorry about the non compatibility with Hauptwerk, or vice versa.
I bought a second hand set up including the console keyboards and a PC with Seven, so it is not really a problem for me.
But when you consider that a Linux setup is nowdays compatible with 90% of the softwares (it was not the case in 2000 !), it is a pity that Hauptwerk is not compatible yet.

mdyde

Re: Why not Linux ?

PostThu May 27, 2021 3:08 pm

Hello Paradise,

There have been a few topics about that before over the years, e.g. these two:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=14788
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=15855

As mentioned there:

mdyde wrote:Sorry -- at this point in time we don't have plans for porting Hauptwerk to Linux.

We do of course appreciate that there are a few people who prefer to use Linux, and who do have the level of technical expertise to be able to set up and use it for audio/MIDI, but please understand that porting to any new platform, and then subsequently maintaining and supporting it, are very, very major undertakings (it most certainly isn't a trivial task of 'flipping a switch'!) -- it costs a lot of time/work/money, and we have finite resources available to us. We have to prioritise what can do within those resources.

Perhaps one day in the longer-term future that may change, but at this point in time we still have no plans for a Linux port, I'm afraid. (Also, the iLok system, which is used to licence Hauptwerk v5+ and sample sets is not available for Linux.)
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Paradise

PostMon May 31, 2021 6:39 am

Thank you for your answer. :)

mdyde

PostMon May 31, 2021 6:42 am

Thanks. You're very welcome.
Best regards, Martin.
Hauptwerk software designer/developer, Milan Digital Audio.

Return to Computer hardware / specs