It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:33 pm

Windows 11: Everything You Need to Know

Buying or building computers for Hauptwerk, recommendations, troubleshooting computer hardware issues.
  • Author

engrssc

Re: Windows 11: Everything You Need to Know

PostSun Jun 27, 2021 9:11 am

There is a caveat to that theory when we consider the required use of TPM. This new "feature" encrypts the files on a drive effectively linking a specific drive to a specific motherboard. My M/O is to clone a NVMe drive (Hauptwerk, all it's settings and certain sample sets) which can be used as a backup on several different computers. Present thinking this "system" won't work with Win 11. No immediate sleep will be lost :wink: and will be awaiting Martin's future evaluation(s).

Rgds,
Ed

GrahamH

PostSun Jun 27, 2021 12:48 pm

If HW ran on Unix I could keep it and dedicate it to the pipe organ

Time to sit back and wait for the virtual dust to settle (just as some of us did re HW V6. :)

Meanwhile, should we be considering crowdfunding to raise enough cash to bribe Martin to do a Linux port of Hauptwerk, capable of running on computers that are not state-of-the-art? :evil: :shock:

Graham

engrssc

PostSun Jun 27, 2021 1:01 pm

GrahamH wrote:bribe Martin to do a Linux port of Hauptwerk, capable of running on computers that are not state-of-the-art?

There's a better chance of traveling to Mars. :wink:

I have long felt both M/S and Apple are holding us hostage probably each for their own reasons. Plus these days, "state-of-the-art" is a momentary thing. :roll:

Rgds,
Ed

vpo-organist

PostSun Jun 27, 2021 2:03 pm

GrahamH wrote:Linux port of Hauptwerk

That would be the best solution. The only thing standing in the way is that sound card manufacturers like RME don't offer Linux drivers.
That would be a dream. Then I would directly start to develop an organ Linux kernel.
Years ago I already built a mini kernel, which was 1 MB (!!!) in 32 bit (in 64 bit 2 MB). Boot time: 1-2 seconds!
Previous

Return to Computer hardware / specs