It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:15 am

Win 11 drops on Oct 5 - for eligible PCs

Buying or building computers for Hauptwerk, recommendations, troubleshooting computer hardware issues.
  • Author

engrssc

Win 11 drops on Oct 5 - for eligible PCs

jkinkennon

Re: Win 11 drops on Oct 5 - for eligible PCs

PostWed Sep 01, 2021 10:48 pm

I am running Windows 11 on my PC. I have loaded Hauptwerk 6 on another PC I just built and have been running HW 6 on both PCs with no issues. That's not to say there aren't any incompatibilities, but it has worked great in my case. Both PCs are running recent Intel CPUs with the latest being a generation 11. The older one is an i9-9940X CPU @ 3.30GHz but running a bit faster.

The big issue may be for those who need new hardware in which case it's probably easiest to stay with Windows 10 for another year or so.

engrssc

rayjcar

PostMon Sep 06, 2021 6:05 pm

This indicates that it isn't so much the inability of certain platforms to support Windows 11, but rather the desire to obsolete those of older vintage. As a case in point, I purchased a Dell Precision 5810 for my business in 2017. I chose that platform because it supported hardware RAID using Intel Rapid Storage management.
The processor is an Intel Xeon CPU E5-1607 v4 @ 3.10GHz 3.10 GHz, with 24 GB of RAM and two 1 TB hard drives in a RAID 1 configuration.
When I ran the Windows 11 PC Health Check (no longer operative), it said that Windows 11 could not be run. Out of curiosity, I went into the BIOS setup and determined that secure boot was enabled, and that the TPM module existed but wasn't enabled. So I enabled TPM. Running the Health Check still gave negative results. I then installed the Easeus compatibility checker: https://www.easeus.com/campaign/2021-wi ... ecker.html
This time there was a confusing verdict: All requirements were met EXCEPT for the processor.
What I find puzzling is that surely an Intel processor with 4 cores and a speed of 3.1 GHz should exceed the nominal "1 GHz or faster with two or more cores" requirement. While my processor is a 2016/17 vintage, it does have TPM and secure boot. So what else doesn't it have? Microsoft offers no explanation.
When Microsoft reinstates the compatibility checking software (still "coming soon"), perhaps it will be smart enough to drill down into the system and give meaningful answers.
My Hauptwerk computer is and XPS 9100 which is more than ten years old, and performs admirably with Hauptwerk 6.. Clearly I will not be upgrading from Windows 10, nor will I be goaded into buying new hardware.

Ray
Last edited by rayjcar on Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

engrssc

PostMon Sep 06, 2021 6:16 pm

It looks very much like a patch for Windows 10 all prettied up and re-packaged in a new "suit".

Not sure why anyone "needs" it. :? Something like - just because . :roll: A marketing thing maybe?

Rgds,
Ed

jkinkennon

PostTue Sep 07, 2021 8:53 am

Recent Intel CPUs will have TPM built in. That's anything less than 6 or 7 years old. In my case I had to dig into my motherboard's advanced settings to enable PTT (Platform Trusted Technology). If either the CPU or motherboard is old enough to not have the TPM technology than it may be time for an upgrade, not just for the added security but to have a computer that can handle Hauptwerk and ongoing developments across the board.

Staying up to date has always been a moving target. Windows 10 will continue to be updated for now but it's time to think ahead and make plans.

engrssc

PostWed Sep 08, 2021 8:04 am

Why is there a Windows 11 if Windows 10 is the last Windows?

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3622190/why-is-there-a-windows-11-if-windows-10-is-the-last-windows.html

(Granted this is an updated article from June 2021.)

"Really, though, Windows 11 is a branding exercise. Windows 11 is still Windows, and it’s still Windows 10, much like Windows 10 carried forward elements found within Windows 8. Microsoft will patch it, and likely continue to add features, whatever it is -- "Windows as a service" isn't going away."

What I have against this "exercise" is the concept of controlled obsolescence, (as Ray referred to) not withstanding all the so called "reasons". I posted in another thread about CPU manufacturers cheating their customers.

https://forum.hauptwerk.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=19977

Usual excuses:

“It’s fine because 800GB/s is still really fast.”

“It’s fine because people don’t copy more than 120GB of data at a time.”

“It’s fine because it’s still TLC NAND, not QLC NAND.”

“It’s fine because everyone else is doing it.”

I guess a person can "justify" just about anything even the annoying Forum's General Errors due to Covid (coronavirus) :roll:

https://forum.hauptwerk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=19776&p=149378&hilit=General+Error#p149378

No negative reflection on Martin.

Then there's the old marketing line from General Electric - Progress Is Our Most Important Product.

Rgds,
Ed

engrssc

PostFri Sep 10, 2021 11:32 am

Who Is Windows 11 For?

https://www.extremetech.com/computing/326787-who-is-windows-11-for

" It’s not for people with computers that date back before 2018, with very limited exception. It’s not for anyone without a TPM module. It’s not for anyone who isn’t willing to accept the need to jump through even more hoops to configure one’s own PC. It’s not for people who value the local nature of a PC.

With Windows 10, the message was “We fixed Windows 8, built a new, low-latency 3D API, and created an OS platform to stretch across the smartphone and PC markets.” Windows 8/8.1 promised a revolutionary interface and mobile-inspired features compared with Windows 7. Windows 7 promised to fix everything wrong with Vista, Vista promised a boatload of new visual effects, security features, and a new display driver model compared with XP. Windows XP guaranteed much better stability than what Win9x had delivered, as well as features like multi-core support at the consumer level (Win9x is single-core). Microsoft didn’t always deliver its promises, and sometimes the promises it delivered sucked, but every previous version of the OS had a story to tell.

Right now, the only people who seem likely to benefit from Windows 11 in the near term are those who buy Alder Lake or own Lakefield devices and can benefit from its improved hybrid CPU support."

Rgds,
Ed

engrssc

Return to Computer hardware / specs